free ranging why?

We actually do have three San Juan rabbits (look alot like wild cottontails) that free range. My husband put them in a pen one night while working on their cages even though I told him they would probably dig out. Sure enough, the next morning they were running around the yard. Even though we could have gotten them caught, he decided it was neat to let them run around the yard. We have 2 acres and it's fun to sit and watch them play in the yard in the evenings. We also have chickens and ducks that free range.

They do dig alot. They have dug numerous tunnels under our shed. They have had babies under the shed also as I saw some little ones peaking out one time. Unfortunately I think the neighbors barn cats killed off all the babies.

I do understand why it is illegal to turn any species loose as it could easily upset natures balance if there are not enough predators in the area.

Quote:
ok. this is exactually what ive been trying to say every time i post something about my rabbits.""""Even though we could have gotten them caught, he decided it was neat to let them run around the yard. We have 2 acres and it's fun to sit and watch them play in the yard in the evenings. We also have chickens and ducks that free range."""" not the 2 acre part but the sitting and watching them play part.but i wasnt smart enough to say it like tht. thts exacually why i let mine out.

Last edited:
1) Ask Australia

2) Chickens and ducks go back to the coop at night. Rabbits dont.

3) As mentioned, rabbits are delicate to weather conditions. And because of 2 unlike chickens and ducks, you can't easily lock them up for their own good if the weather is bad. They protect themselves by burrowing. See 4

4) Burrowing is destructive. Even if you think it's cute, the neighbors don't

5) Because of 4, and again, unlike chickens and ducks, you can't use a perimeter fence to keep them only free-ranging on YOUR property. Free range rabbits will borrow under fences and be everywhere.

6) Very high mortality rate and a large draw to predators.

Need more?

There's a huge difference between free ranging and turning loose.

Free ranging rabbits means they are in a secure area from which they can't escape out into the wild. This means fences buried in the ground and preferably a secure and predator proof area for them to spend the night. Even chickens and other poultry are not supposed to be allowed to get onto other people's property so some confinement is necessary.

Releasing rabbits into your yard with no boundary is a bad idea. For one rabbits are destructive. If you are fine with them destroying your property that is fine but when it extends to other people's property and even public property then they become a nuisance. The more of a nuisance an animal is the more likely local and state laws will be created to prevent people from owning said animals. There are already restrictive laws on the books for certain animals and rabbits are being considered exotic livestock and can be banned. It's been talked about.

Not only that but domestic rabbits are not able to fight off diseases they can catch from wild rabbits and the two can exchange diseases back and forth. In fact in Washington State a native population of endangered rabbits was almost wiped out from habitat destruction and exposure to disease from domestic rabbits allowed to run wild.

Domestic rabbits can thrive in the wild but they often end up suffering unnecessarily from predators, parasites, and the weather. Especially those left out in the winter. Rabbits left to fend for themselves end up with frostbite on ears and feet and can freeze to death as they may not be able to find adequate shelter. This is especially true if they are not fed a good diet and end up having to forage for their own food. Do you really want to risk having your rabbits freeze to death just because in spring and summer it's cute to see them playing in the yard? It's not cute to watch a rabbit struggling against deep snow drifts and trying to get food when it's bitterly cold.

There's also no way to control breeding of free range rabbits unless you neuter and spay them. You can find yourself up to your eyeballs in rabbits and that is irresponsible breeding. Letting your animals reproduce just because you want to see little bunnies or think it's cute is not responsible. Rabbits should only be bred for a purpose and frolicking in your back yard is not a purpose. Meat, Show or pets are reasons to breed. Releasing any of these into your yard is not a good idea for reasons of disease, lack of breeding line control, and feral rabbits do not make good pets.

Rabbits can be territorial and will fight other rabbits both domestic and wild. So you end up with injured or dead rabbits. Again what's the point of releasing a rabbit just to have it become ill or die?

On top of this you have the predator issue. An abundance of prey such as rabbits running free on your property in uncontrolled numbers and environment will mean more predators can move in. If you have other livestock or poultry they may end up becoming part of the menu rather than the rabbits. At the same time why would you have a rabbit just to feed it to a coyote or fox?

Proper free ranging should be done with rabbits in a secure area with enough room to graze freely. Some use rabbit tractors and others build secure fencing around the area they wish to graze their rabbits and bury the fencing deep enough to prevent digging escapes. Some people have even built extensive outdoor warrens using PVC pipes buried in their yard and surrounded the enclosure with hot tape and buried fences to prevent escapes and the influx of predators.

Be a responsible animal owner.

Mine are inb large dog crates moved around so they can eat the weeds, IDK but I would think dogs would chase then and they would die as a result??

Quote:
some of this is true. some is not. just my two sence.

Which parts of this aren't true? Because IMO, all of it is.

I used to have several rabbits in what is now my chicken run (dog kennel with concrete flooring so nothing can dig in or out). I am down to one rabbit left in there and have been letting her and my chickens out to free range in the yard which is also fenced. My goats are in that yard also. The rabbit is a pretty large one (not sure of the breed but at least 10 lbs). I have a chicken size door in the run that I open for them to come in and out of their run at will during the daytime that the rabbit also uses. She does dig some but not around the perimeter of the fence so has not gotten out of the yard (I watch for that). She also comes in on her own with the chickens at dusk where they are all closed up safe and sound in the coop/run every night. Works well for us and she's a happier bunny.

I personally would not do it..the winters get too cold up here.
But i have no problem with people that do it..it think its kinda cool. At least the rabbits arent stuck in a tiny wire cage all their lives.

Back
Top Bottom