Free ranging with dog

Daddoo

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
Western Washington
We're getting a new puppy and we free range our chickens in the evenings. Is there concerns besides the obvious eating of the chickens, diseases passed to chickens and dogs? Dog will not have access to coop or run. How many of you guys have chickens that coexist successfully?

Thanks

My 4-5 month old puppy loves to chase my free range guineas. He doesn’t harm them (yet). For now she just like the chase. I do tell her to “leave it”.

I will be going back to letting my chickens free range and I’m a bit worried she’ll just stress the chickens out by chasing, but we’ll see.

My older dog (7 years old) has coexisted with my adult flocks always. So I know I can train my puppy. But my old dog just loves sleeping and chilling. My new puppy is full of energy.

So maybe exercise your puppy a lot to the point that it won’t have the energy to chase your birds.

Make sure the breed of the dog can co-exist with the chickens if they are going to free range in the same area. I already checked with our pups breeder and the trainer we're working with and told by both that it would not be a good idea to let the chickens free range around my two Australian Shepherd puppies, as their herding instinct is too strong.

Make sure the breed of the dog can co-exist with the chickens if they are going to free range in the same area. I already checked with our pups breeder and the trainer we're working with and told by both that it would not be a good idea to let the chickens free range around my two Australian Shepherd puppies, as their herding instinct is too strong.
We have two dogs - one mixed large rescue dog who has never looked twice at the chickens (But keeps the coyotes away!) and one 3 year old border collie who we got as a puppy. We have always free ranged our chickens and made sure that when the border collie was a puppy we introduced her to the chickens and taught her it wasn’t ok to harm them, and that she should protect them. Our older dog likely taught her that too. Now she’s obsessed with our chickens and runs around all day to each coop and run and runs around the free rangers. To be honest, it gives her a purpose and keeps her mentally stimulated and a “job” to do. She also chases any predators that come near away. Growing up, my parents had a red heeler as well which was an excellent guard dog for our free range chickens. They also had two collies before that who would spend all day herding the chickens back into the coop, then letting them come out, then herding them back in... but not harming them. So, long story short - I think herding dogs can be great, and I’ve only had good experiences.

47061CEF-8E66-4137-A74F-2503C791BD95.jpeg

She’s a springer spaniel.

Free ranges with my chickens all day every day unsupervised. I’m fact, she intercepted neighbor dog headed for the flock and whipped ass to our property line.

IMHO it’s about setting expectations.

Top picture is the chickens begging her for some of her fresh beef bone. As soon as she steps away from it, my little raptors pic it clean. She just looks at them bewildered.

Puppies will naturally want to chase and catch the birds, and need to learn that the chickens are off limits from that first day. It's about supervision on leash, and training, and more supervision, and a solid 'LEAVE IT!' command. This won't happen ever night! Some breed types are easier to train than others, but every puppy will need direction and to be supervised.
Mary

IMG_20200706_152656.jpg
My terrier picked up quickly that the chickens are Ours, with just careful introduction while holding them and a firm scolding anytime he looked too interested in those funny flappy things(he really hates crows, which we have in abundance here). I was more worried about my pugxbeagle who is young and not great with cats and loves to tear up small squeaky toys, but she is more interested in the chicken food than chickens. Scolded her once for chasing and it hasn't happened again.
I lucked out, even the big old dog couldn't be bothered. Definitely possible, but highly breed/dog dependant. Really important I think, that the dog is getting enough stimulation elsewhere, especially as a puppy.

Back
Top Bottom