Free ranging

Wiccan chicken

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2020
I let my chickens go full free range today instead of putting them in a larger space. After about 40 minutes they went back into the small coop. Is this normal for chickens?

I let my chickens go full free range today instead of putting them in a larger space. After about 40 minutes they went back into the small coop. Is this normal for chickens?
Basically.
They need time to develop confidence to range away from their comfort zone.

Free ranging exposes them to possible predators, so please be careful! If they're not comfortable with this, it'll take time. Do you have a rooster to help watch out for them?

Success, your chickens are homed! :celebrate

They're creatures of habit. As they become more familiar with their new territory they will start to explore farther and wider. They may eventually find a place they really like hanging out. There's a few places on my property that they move through during different times of day depending on lighting, cloud cover, shade, etc.

Glad your first free ranging went well. :)

Back
Top Bottom