Free ranging

I inherited 2 full grown hens and a rooster that were freeranging all last winter. This summer we got 6 4mo old pullets. We quarintined them for 10 days and then let them free range. They have been coming back to the coop to lay and coop up at night since the first day.

Snacks help a lot

Mine are semi free range. I let them out whenever I can. The only reasons they go back in the pens/coops are at night (they have a fit if they can't get in anyway) and when I'm not going to be home. The only wings I have clipped are my americauanas. I don't need to with my silkies (non flighted breed) and my polish (can't fly, doesn't want to, won't I have no clue but she doesn't).

I used to have a silkie, a game hen and a barred rock mix that were total free range until some kind of animal badly wounded them and they didn't make it. My silkie didn't get hurt at all though, but that's not really suprising since she can hold her own pretty well. She'll attack anything that's bothering her. That's why I put them away when I'm gone and can't watch them.

But back when I had those 3, I could call out "heeeeeere chickie chickie chickie chickie!!!" and they'd come running. My silkie still comes when I call her and goes in her coop on command. They're actually smart animals if you spend some time with them. My Americaunas are starting to get the hang of it now too.

I have an old english banti right now that I'm afraid to let out cause I can't catch her
big_smile.png
She's like a little roadrunner.

Last edited:
Yep, no need to clip any wings. Chickens are a domestic breed and will come home at dusk if they are cooped for two weeks so they know where home is. The more time you spend with your birds, the more tame they become. They love their freedom and they love to come back to the coop at dusk. Good Luck!

bigzio

I finally let my chickens out to free range this weekend. I let them out about 5 in the afternoon. By 6 it's already getting dark. They did well. My husband and daughter helped keep an eye on them. Good thing too....Yesterday we let them out in the afternoon and about 1/2 hr later, I found our neighbors dog peeking in the window.

I noticed that 2 of my hens and the rooster were dust bathing in our mulch. Funniest thing to watch.

Oh yeah. My husband and I are just amazed at all of the noises and the personalities they have! I enjoy them far more that I ever thought I would.

If I clip a wing and let them outside to freerange, will they come back in the coop on their own or do I have to chase them?"

I have never lost a bird to it flying off, so I do not clip wings.

I like to take a lawn chair out when I first bring a new group home , let them out with a little food near the exit/entrance to thier pen.

Then let them roam for a little bit and then force them back to their pen and feed them.

They will soon make the link that letting them out allows them to free choice feed and then giving them their daily feed to get them back in the pen.

we also let our chx out 2 hours before dusk to get exercise and explore the yard; they always come back to the coop and are on their roosting poles by dark. i still find i do head counts because the young ones are like teenagers - they want to stay out later than the adults.

yesterday during oprah, i caught someout out of the corner of my eye and saw 2 of my hens had made it to the deck and were walking along the railing to check out the bird feeder! since they had started visiting my deck, i closed the doors to the stairs and thought they wouldn't venture further - what a surprise to see they had flown up to the railing from the ground (our home is on a hill, so the deck is 8-10' from the ground). apparantly their perseverence paid off.

Please, please be careful ! If your neighbor's dog runs loose and you are not around when your birds are outside , you will absolutely lose your chickens to the dog.

If you and your neighbor are friends, let them know you have chickens and are concerned about the dog. If you can let them know when your birds will be out so he can lock up the dog, that would help.

Take a peek at the Predators section for some sad predator attack stories.

Back
Top Bottom