Free Ranging

hispoptart

Free Ranging
12 Years
Apr 14, 2011
NW Colorado
I'm scared to death to let my chickens out of their coop/run. They want out so badly. They are about 9 weeks now. My neighbor has a cat they let out, so far the cat has come over and just watched the chickens in the run, but I have seen him stalk wild birds. If I let the chickens out for awhile I will stay with them, but Do you think they are big enough now that the cat won't mess with them? I'm also afraid that I won't be able to catch them to put them back in. How hard is that?

That cat should never be in your yard with or without the chickens free ranging!! Your chickens will be a constant temptation to it until they get full sized. I'd spray it with water and chase it every time I saw it.

I like cats but I like my girls more!

my neighbor has a 15 lb cat that is an excellant hunter. He is terrified of my chickens. And this is a cat that I once saw pounce on a Grouse! The chickens challange him and run him off whenver he comes around. I even have 14 chicks with their moms running around varying in age from 6 weeks to 2.5 weeks old. The cat does not bother them. But then again, I have ALOT of chickens and most are Sumatra's. Which are MUCH smarter than the average chicken.

Stay with them until they are grown. Right now, there are almost 100 chickens, ducks and turkeys scattered about my place, and with the exception of 2 Roo's, none are over 7 weeks old

Quote:
I like the cat, he is very sweet. My neighbors are very concerned about me letting the chickens out and have told me to let them know when I am going to and the will try to get the cat to come inside. I was just worried that if they don't get him in how fast the cat could get to the chickens even with me there. I will pick up a squirt gun today, so if I see him coming near I can squirt him.

Quote:
I will always stay with them as my back fence is only about 4 ft tall, and my girls sure love to use their wings
smile.png

Quote:
I like the cat, he is very sweet. My neighbors are very concerned about me letting the chickens out and have told me to let them know when I am going to and the will try to get the cat to come inside. I was just worried that if they don't get him in how fast the cat could get to the chickens even with me there. I will pick up a squirt gun today, so if I see him coming near I can squirt him.

I think that is an excellent idea. We have one cat (wild) here that has discovered our flock. We just hose him down, and now he has decided that he doesn't want a shower and stays out.

Squirt Gun? You're way too nice- I meant a hose or super soaker! A little water never hurt anyone or any cat. No matter how nice the cat is if you show him who's boss you wont have to worry about gathering up your girls if he's out.

It will be better for you and your neighbors if he isn't an issue- because if not taken care of he could be.
Good Luck!

hi..
frow.gif

its nice that you have a good standing with your neighbors so many of us have neighbors from hell.. ..

we have several Feral cats out here.. they come in the yard or walk the fence of the pasture.. they've been in close to my chicks some as young as 3 weeks and they never give them a second look.. dog a different story he likes to pounce near them just to see them panic.. but I would say we have 3 full time feral cats and they just dont care .. so I wouldn't think you would have a problem with a pet... although,, I do not leave them out when I'm not home.. Im not that trusting.. hahah

good luck with your little flockers... )O(
Pink

I find I need one of those hose ends that ends in a fine point, for the distance it provides. Even then I have to sneak up on my (very friendly, to me) cat.

Back
Top Bottom