Free rooster

GardenWeasel

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Henry, TN
I was out free ranging my 25 just starting to lay pullets yesterday and a guy walked up and asked if I had a rooster. I said no and he asked me if I wanted a rooster. I asked what kind and he said a yellow buff mix. I have 25 girls of different breeds and was toying with the idea of perhaps getting a rooster next year but thinking I should get one of the breeds I already have, which he isn't. The rooster is free, he said 1 year old, not mean, but he only has 15 hens and 2 rooster so little guy is locked up cause bigger rooster picks on him. Have also heard a rooster protects the flock, do I need one just for protecting? If I did take him I would have to quarentine also, right?

Take the rooster!

He will help protect the flock, although with 25, you may want to get two! I am so happy to have my rooster. He gives me peace of mind, expecially when free ranging the flock. Plus he sounds like a handsome one. I hear BO's are very friendly, if thats what he is...

Actually, if you want a roo of one of the breeds you already have, just wait. Your girls have a pecking order figured out, and the top hen will tend to keep an eye out. Granted, not just like a roo, but they aren't completely vulnerable either
wink.png
I only just recently got roos, and never had a problem before they were here... Then again, he is free. If you don't want to hatch out your eggs, then the breed really won't matter
big_smile.png

ALWAYS quarantine when you get new birds
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom