Free trip causes extinction

I was alarmed when I saw the title of the thread, because "extinction" is when an entire species is killed or dies off. Like dodo birds, the great auk, wooly mammoths, saber-tooth tigers, the T-rex...I didn't see how a free trip could cause an entire species to be wiped out. I'm relieved you were just talking about butchering a batch of chickens, and nothing's been made extinct!

Quote:
Look I'm not a tree hugger, and I do feel bad for your loss and I'm sure alot of people that live in the areas where you all live will hate me also. Wolves are not vermin You choose to live in their (Wolves) house. Without preditors, animals like deer, elk, rabbits mice rats and many othe critters would be over populated. I'm not against a hunting season, even if I dont like it. But the wolves, are in those areas for a reason. Population control. So please stop being angry at the wolves when they are only doing what they were designed (naturally) to do?

Last edited:
What controls the wolves? I mean once they eat everything up... than what... then they start dying of disease because there is no more food?

We messed the food chain up long ago.... simply put we can not just let nature take it's course anymore... intervention and intensive managment is best for both humans and animals.

Yellowstone is a good example. They have controlled hunts all of the time...

Around Ohio we only have coyotes and deer, coyotes are a problem because they have no natural predators here. Mountain lions used to be but are no more. So leaving these predators alone and giving them free run of the place would seriously hurt the ecosystems of Ohio. The deer are another story... too many people building and cutting away habitat lead to too many deer.... It's our fault but with out conrtrolled hunts or a hunting season deer will be more of a problem than coyotes and wolves.

I see where your coming from but like I said it's tough to just let the wolves have free run of the land, it's not like it used to be. I hate the coyotes in my area but I live with them. I do love to hear them howl... just wish they would leave the livestock alone. I deal with the situation with good fences both electric and sturdy woven wire... along with good LGD's. But out west there is too much land on one rance for a pack of dogs to control... and way too much money to fence everything out. So it puts wolves and farmers in a bad situation.

I think out west in Montana they Government gives you subsidies if your livestock is killed from a wolve. However you must prove it's a wolf... How the heck do you prove that a wolf killed your calf when it just disappears? That's a tough one.

The tree huggers turned loose a dozen WOLVES into Yellowstone to "control" the deer, elk, moose and bison herds. There were NO wolves anywhere near there before. Now, a 1000 miles away, there are over 1200 wolves in Idaho alone and they now have a hunting season for them with a bag limit of 200. When a pair of wolves make 2 vicous kills a week to survive, that is a lot of game animals removed from the environment and precous few for YOU and ME to hunt. A bullet or arrow is a quick death whereas the wolf pack chases the dear, elk, moose or bison for many a mile before it makes many bites and tears into the skin before the prey animal is finally weak enough to be taken down and started to be torn apart before it's death. Our forefathers exterminated these vicous beasts for good reason, today this is just another example of the tree huggers experiment gone terribly wrong.

"Our forefathers exterminated these vicous beasts for good reason, today this is just another example of the tree huggers experiment gone terribly wrong."
On the contrary, we've found that the wolves do a lot of good in the ecosystem. That's why they are trying to get populations of them going again. Bullets and arrows aren't always a perfect, easy death either.
Their leftovers feed many other animals, they control the numbers of coyotes allowing other species to thrive, they make herds stronger by removing the weak and sick. They also are doing good for a lot of the plant life in Yellowstone by keeping the herds moving. Native plants are rebounding by rivers because of them.

Quote:
What is your beef with the tree huggers anyway. The wolves were turned loose in Yellowstone because that is where they are from. The reason why their pop. grew is because you were not aloud to hunt them due to the fact, that in 1974 they were listed as endangered----After the ranchers destoryed nearly everyone of them due to selfishness, rather then finding a balance between the two. hopefully they will find a balance and share the land.

Ugh!

Can I ask how this thread went from puttuing chickens in the freezer to cats, dogs, coyotes and wolves?

I see no mention of predators in original posting.

Wolves are beautiful fascinating creatures. I've always admired them.
However if they start taking out my chickens or draw blood on my piggers; I would be very very very hard pressed not to do something about it. Even revenge aside, if they are causing harm to my animals who are fenced in and obviously not part of their usual fare, how do I know my elderly mother down the road will be safe in her yard, how do I know my children will be safe in our own yard, how can I grow my own food without feeding the 'neighborhood'. We had a wolf chase out GS dog out on the edge of our yard several years ago when she was just trying to take a crap. The DNR said the wolf was probably just waiting for its mate and felt threatened. IT Felt Threatened? Had DH not seen what was going on and yelled at the dog and disturbed the little scenario it might have been a different outcome. The wolf was much bigger than the german shepard.
Start losing your critters and if you have a lick of sense you will start to look at the possibilities and risks. We have always had coyotes here in da UP of michigan and now we have wolves. We have seen them many times. There is no mistake what a wolf looks like.
What happens when the population of their natural prey drops? They're not going to starve while there are tasty tidbits running around.
I may have the heart of a tree hugger but I'm not naive.
I'm not going to go out and gunning down wolves but I've heard too much and seen too much to just sit back and think its ok to feed them just because we are in 'their yard.'
BTW, nice work on filling the reservations to freezer camp.

Quote:
My neighbor in Alger County told me he had a wolf chasing his cows across the field last week. I've been training my Great Pyrenees puppy to be a livestock guardian dog because the DNR wants wolves to be back in the UP.

These wolves are BIG.

Back
Top Bottom