Free water warmer

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
I was breaking up the ice in my run water containers this morning, when my little helper showed up. She is the neighbors grand daughter, about 7 years old. The first question out of her mouth was, Why are you doing that? Before I could answer she said her water containers never have ice on them and they are outside too. How's that smarty pants? Her answer floored me, she said her gand Mother puts them on the compost pile. With that I looked over at my compost piles and what did I see, steam coming up from it. I have some big compost poles around the property with water contains close by and I can't keep the chickens, goats or sheep out of them. So before the end of the day my water containers were placed on top of the compost piles.
In the morning we will see if this ole dog learned a new trick. We should get snow tomorrow night as well.
All the coops have heat in them so I don;t worry about them.

you think if I stuck my ducks kiddie plastic pool on my compost pile it will work to keep it dethawed all winter??? LOL

wow that is really smart
smile.png

Quote:
If your compost pile is the size of my large one, you could probably keep a large swimming pool heated all winter. It is 30 x 20 x 12 ', 8 of the12'
in height is below the ground. I turn it with a back hoe every ten days. Today while walking on it, my feet were burning. A number of years ago I had one start on fire for some strange reason.

Quote:
If your compost pile is the size of my large one, you could probably keep a large swimming pool heated all winter. It is 30 x 20 x 12 ', 8 of the12'
in height is below the ground. I turn it with a back hoe every ten days. Today while walking on it, my feet were burning. A number of years ago I had one start on fire for some strange reason.

hm Our compost is about 12 x 12 and about 6 ft high. we turn it 1-2 a month. maybe we could smooth it down some and put the pool on it and try it. We just dissconnected the hose that goes down to the birds for the winter :-( so we would have to bring alot of 5 gallon jugs down there to attempt this. Ill wait for you to post your results before I even think of asking DH. My 1 ducks pool is small made for like a toddler so its not "that" big-think think think think...you guys are so awesome with your ideas!!

Just came in from feeding and watering the critters. No ice on the outside water containers. And it was cold enough to freeze the water pipes to the house, so I know it works. Can't believe I left the insulation off a 3 foot section of pipe I repaced. Now I have to take care of that today. But, the animals have plenty of water outside.

man, that's great!!! doesn't it feel good to know you won't have to break waters ALL WINTER!!!??? Now if we can just get the compost pile to rake pens and scrub the little waterers, we will have it MADE!!!

Back
Top Bottom