Freebs Chx

freebs12

Chirping
Mar 8, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We got our first set of 10 chickens June of 2017

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently, we have 40...last week we had 45.

(3) What breeds do you have?
All kinds...speckled sussex, red stars, buff orpingtons, easter eggers, etc. We have one rooster.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
We love the personalities and the eggs

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Dog breeding - professional, not backyard or puppy mill, antiquing, camping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
There are 3 boys in our home ages 10, 10, and 13 plus my husband and I. we have 3 cats (all rescues), and 7 dogs - 3 are rescues and 4 are young breeding dogs but ALL are family. They accompany me every day in our jalopy minivan we call "The Dog's Car," to the bus stop 10 miles away or just to buzz around. I get lots of looks at my brood. We live in Skandia, MI which is about 15 miles south of Marquette. This winter we have received over 200 inches of snow already and haven't really steadily topped 20 degrees since sometime early December. Most of our temps are at or below the zero mark...this isn't days or even weeks...we are in months and to lose the first 5 has been difficult.
We have three coops and two lean-tos. We take fresh HOT water out every morning and fill the bowls. We also ensure the birds have plenty of 17% pellet feed as well as Hay (no straw) and heat lamps in the two coops we use and one of the lean-tos closest to the food bin. There is 300 ft of 4 ft high fencing for their enclosure. All chickens are put away every night and let out every morning. four of the five turkeys roost high in the trees and have had no issues with the cold. The other turkey prefers the coop with the chickens. The four ducks also stay out night and day and are thrilled with the cold it seems.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have looked to the members comments on here before to find out how to address problems or for better ideas of ways to handle things or make my girls' lives easier.

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

DAF076D4-E3B9-4732-A105-368E26DD50FB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom