Freecycle

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
So, yahoo popped up an article called 21 Things You Should Never Buy New
Available here http://finance.yahoo.com/news/21-Things-You-Should-Never-usnews-2356162080.html?x=0

And
right there on number six it says "Why bother assembling your own when you can pick it up for free (or nearly free) on Craigslist and Freecycle? "

Now, everyone knows about Craigslist... but I'm surprised by the number who've never heard of Freecycle... or the ones who look at me like I'm nuts when I try telling them about it.

Just curious if others know about it, have participated, etc.

I have given a few things away- highchairs and baby stuff- on Freecycle. The Chattanooga network is kinda small. I have never been able to get anything I see offered. My dad signed up for the Cleveland freecycle. He gets 100s of emails a day- almost all for "wants". He's been trying to unsubscribe for months and they won't take him off.

I've received some great clothes for at the office in the past from craigslist and just received some free Troxel riding helmets from freecycle for my daughter last week. I give people a few dozen eggs as a sort of trade. Now the one thing I'd love to get is free wood to make more pens.
fl.gif

Have you put in a Wanted Lani? I've done more answering than getting, but it's still nice.

Happy, our local Freecycle is run by Yahoo Groups... I don't know about your Dad's, but if it's the same then you can choose how you get notifications... for mine, when I'm looking at the Group Info in a bar a couple inches from the top it says Edit Membership... shows your 'profile name" your email used for this group, and then Message Delivery... there are four options... two big ones and then two smaller ones... 1 = Individual Email (get an email for each and every post -what your dad has?) 2 = Daily Digest (One email per day of all the posts Wanted/Taken/Etc that come in) then to the side are two others you can choose... 3 = Special Notices (only get emailed if the Moderator has some big announcement) or 4 = Web Only (NO EMAILS at all, when you want to know what's happening you go to the Group and see)

If yours is Yahoo, that's how you fix it. It is automated, doesn't require a Mod doing anything so if there's a problem you have to contact Yahoo and report the glitch. If his isn't Yahoo then have him email the Mod and ask them if a Daily Digest or NONE is possible, maybe recommend the Yahoo Groups option.

Our freecycle quit sending out e-mails last year and so I don't use it anymore. Need to find a way to view it as I am looking for some scrap lumber to build a whelping box.

I participated in Freecycle when I lived in Austin, TX, and it was a positive experience. I've answered ads, but never requested anything. Now that I'm back in the Bay Area in California, I'm hesitant to participate. I would never give out my address here. <Sigh> I really miss not having to lock my doors in Austin.

You can always arrange to meet someone, like at This or That shop (where oddly enough there happen to be lots of people and cameras) so that you don't have to fret over your home's security. No one has picked anything up from our house. And yes, I do realize I'm a paranoid nut.
tongue.png

I signed up for the Columbus network and so far I picked up 4.5 dozen quart canning jars. It is a very active group and seems well moderated. There are a lot of wanted ads posted but a lot of stuff offered up as well.

Back
Top Bottom