Freedom Ranger equivalents

I had assumed that the Red Bro was the Red Ranger...

I'm going to order some for my next batch. It will be a mixed batch with CC's. I just need to figure out how many of each, and I'm having a hard time taking the plunge.
hmm.png

Anyone have a direct comparison of the various Freedom Ranger-esque birds vs. Ideals Red/Black Broilers?

I'm feeling a *wee* bit burnt out on all things Freedom Ranger related right now (I don't even like the NAME anymore. Stupid 'Freedom Rangers'.
tongue.png

I may be singing a different tune when I finally get the birds in the freezer, but for right now I'm looking in other directions!

I still like the idea of something a little (*little* mind you, not LOT) slower growing that is healthier and can do a bit of free ranging.

I've pretty much settled on ordering Red Broilers from Ideal and a few cornishx just for comparison. Helps that I'm in Texas and can go pick the birds up from the hatchery and avoid some shipping stress. From what I've read, it seems that the Red Broilers should grow at a speed somewhere between the cornishx's and the various color birds from JM. Is this true?

Liz

i don't know about the reds, but i had the blacks from ideal growing with my red/bronze rangers and they grew slower than the rangers.

just and fyi on the blacks.

I've e-mailed Ideal to ask exactly what they are and never got a response. A local hatchery here sells Black/Red slow Cornish which are 12-14 week birds. The FR's are 8-10 week birds (with the exception of the black).

Hmm, well crud. I sure don't want anything slower growing!

I tell ya, any of these meat bird breeders ever hear of a happy medium?? I want a 5-6lb (dressed weight) bird that I can free range and butcher at 9-10 weeks. Now, is that too darn much to ask for?
smile.png

Grey, I also emailed Ideal and asked about the Red/Black broilers. Actually, I've emailed them twice now with different questions and never head back. I think I might just go ahead and call them today and bug them over the phone and see what response I get.

Liz

Quote:
Given that these are French birds, do you suppose they wanted to originally call them "French Rangers", but with the whole "Freedom Fries" thing, they changed it?
lol.png

I'm pretty sure I'm not serious...
wink.png

Quote:
McMurray's Cornish Roasters allegedly fit the bill. However, I raised them last year, and after a little over 10 weeks, I had 7 lb (dressed) birds. Which truly makes me think that all Cornish Crosses are pretty much the same. Nevertheless, if we take them at their word, these are breeding stock from about 20 years ago that they've apparently held onto. They did seem to be a little less lethargic than other Cornish X.

I didn't free range mine. I had them in a broiler pen, but with only 20 some birds in a 100 sqft pen, they had a lot of room last year. Free ranging normally gives you a somewhat smaller bird at the same age.

What's kinda ironic is that 20-30 years ago, all broilers were probably 9-10 week birds, instead of 8, which is just about where you sound like you'd want them.

Ah well gosh, if I'd known they were French birds I wouldn't have bothered complaining. That explains it all!!
lol.png

Funny you mention that free ranging slows their growth down. I posted my mornings tirade on just that subject.

I think more than anything I'm just getting down to the final days and feeling impatient. It's hot, I'm sick of messing with the birds. I'm ready for them to be big enough to eat and they're just not their yet.

It's interesting to hear about the different types of broilers. I wouldn't mind a 7lb dressed bird at 10 weeks. Actually, that'd be really great.

Hmm, now I have to rethink what I want to order for my next round of meat birds. I'm pondering the wisdom of free ranging as well. My birds don't have unlimited space. Their little 'pasture' is about 5,000-7,000 sqft. Pletty of room to run around, but not acres and acres!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom