Freedom Ranger photos

theMickster

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
N.W. Ohio
Here's a couple photos of my Freedom Ranger flock as they begin to close in on their last days.
Not all of them are the same size and there's a mix of colors. Now I realize I have three differnt Rangers-Golden, Bronze, and Red, but where does the last photo fit in to the three breeds? Looks like a Delaware to me.

Mick
chicks5-12-08010.jpg

chicks5-12-08011.jpg

chicks5-12-08012.jpg

They sure look like happy, healthy chickens. They will make good eating. We have a chicken processing plant in town, everytime we go out we see tractor trailers full of white chickens that are in horrible shape, stuffed into small cages for transport. I sure don't want to eat factory raised birds anymore. Good for you for raising your own.

hi mick, i love that coop of yours. any chance you can take more pics of it and also the inside? is that the waterer? do you just use rain water??

michele

Mick, Great pictures!!

Did that white bird come with your FR's? Is it smaller than the other birds? Have you weighed them to see if there is any difference?

Thanks for showing them to us!!

Nancy

Mick, great pics! I got mine from the same batch you did and have a blend just like your first two pics. I definitely don't have anything resembling the last one!

Oh - tomorrow's the day for my roos. Of the 13, 8 are roosters.

I'm interested in how to properly house meat chicks as I'm building coops (or at least I've dismantled a very big box and am preparing to rebuild it into a coop!). Do they or should the stay on the ground? Do they like low perches?

Mine will have to be cornish X since that's what is available and I've read on how to try to keep their legs under them w/proper feeding techniques, have the large feeders and am preparing to build the home made water containers.

Please post more pics of your tractor as that's what I'll be rebuilding out of freebie large wooden boxes.

My coops are being rennovated for my layers and all will be enclosed w/chain link fence w/chicken wire lined inside on the bottom. I am planning on sand over the gravel yards. Nice looking birds!

BLUE- I can take more pictures of the tractors tomorrow. Got to be at work by 3:00pm. It is a simple design that can be built in a day. The siding is from old pallets. The frame is 2x4's ripped in half length-wise. I even made a couple of smaller ones (4 X 6' and 4 X 8') to house my broodies and babies till they can be with the egg layer flock.
The waterer is a Little Giant Automatic Font. It is piped from the 5gal. bucket you see to the inside with flexible tubuing, works off of gravity.

I have not weighed the chickens, but the white one is much smaller than the rest. I think if she can handle it (she's really docile) I'll put her with egg layers.

mick

Edited to say "good luck" to LittleRalphieRoosMamma in her processing adventures tomorrow!

Last edited:
Awesome set-up! I use the poultry netting, too, around my tractors once the birds are bigger. I'd rather move the tractor every few days than every day, so the poultry netting lets you do that. It also makes them more "Free Range" than pastured.

As far as the white one, it looks more like a Light Sussex than a Deleware to me. With every flavor and color of Freedom Ranger I got, there would always be a white one or two. Since all broilers are hybrids, you will get a wide range of coloring and patterns... including recessive genese showing through.

Back
Top Bottom