Freedom Rangers

I have been reading this thread and it is very interesting and informative. Greyfields your posts are especially helpful. However, as a newcomer to the subject of chicken rearing, specifically as it relates to the Freedom Rangers, I am trying to understand what the term "terminal cross" means. I e-mailed Barbra with Freedom Rangers asking this question and she replied that the birds are sterile (maybe she meant that a "terminal cross" is sterile). Of course, I was aware that the exact breed composition was proprietary, but it seems to me best to get a bird that is fertile in addition to one that is good at foraging and will have a good FCR. I just can justify paying approximately $1.30 per chick ($0.70 per chick plus shipping on 50 chicks) on an ongoing basis. Greyfields or anyone else here, what is your experience regarding the fertility/serility of these birds, and if they are fertile, do they breed to type?

I don't know what the term "terminal cross" means in chickens, but in cattle, if you have a certain breed you are raising, the "terminal cross" sire is a bull from another breed, put on those cattle with no plans on breeding the resulting offspring as they are for market only. So in that case, the offspring are not sterile, but are terminal, as in intended only for slaughter. I hope I explained this ok, it's late and I'm heading for bed, but I hope it helps in some way.

Jared nailed it. I think Barbara misspoke when she said 'sterile' and probably was just warning you that they are hybrids and therefore will not "breed true to type" because they are crossbreeds.

I've seen my held back Freedom Rangers sitting in the next boxes, so I'm pretty sure they're at least thinking about laying!

Greyfields, a thank you to you and the others who have made such informative posts on this thread!
If there is anyone in the Coeur d'Alene / Spokane area who would like to split an order of 100 (probably twice, in 2008), please let me know!

We've had a mix of brown & green egg layers for a couple years on our 5 acres, and rotated a couple dozen out to the freezer last fall. We're ready to give the FR's a try, after reading about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Crosses . . .!
roll.png

Russ

I am looking for anyone in the central or western NY area that would be interested in splitting an order of Freedom Rangers. I'm only interested in 20-30 and I know the minimum is 50. Thanks!

There has been somce fantastic discussions here about cross breeding and other strins to get away from the Cornish cross scenario.

I am getting some Black Broilers from Ideal, and some White Rock pullets. My questions are as follows:
1. Does anyone know if the Black Broilers still are the cornish cross variety?
2. Has anyone tried using a BB male for cross breeding? Was it success or not?
3. Would I be better off to just purchase some Dark Cornish males and breed them to the White rocks and forget about saving a Black Broiler rooster?

i have a nice incubator and i eat a lot of chicken throughout the year, so want to do my own. I dont mind eating "dual" breeds but not a lot od meat for the money.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Quote:
Awesome!! I have an order in for 25 but she just got back to me saying that I had to order at least 50, I am in the Ithaca area and the chicks are to be sent out the middle of April. (I wanted to wait until the weather was going to be a bit warmer)

I had told her to cancel the order but haven't heard back from her, shall I contact her and tell her never mind??

Quote:
1) I want to say that they are a Cornish Cross using non-white parent stock. But, I could be wrong. I have no idea.

2) Cant' answer that. But, I assume a BB is a hybrid and therefore you won't get consistent results. Hybrids are made by crossing two purebred parents resulting in a predicatble cross breed. You cannot do the same with two hybirds, though, as they do not 'breed true'.

3) I'm certainly trying it! But, unti you perfect it, I'd recommend raising a few crops of Cornish Crosses or Black Broilers to learn meat bird management... and the potential pitfalls to them as discussed in this thread.

Quote:
Awesome!! I have an order in for 25 but she just got back to me saying that I had to order at least 50, I am in the Ithaca area and the chicks are to be sent out the middle of April. (I wanted to wait until the weather was going to be a bit warmer)

I had told her to cancel the order but haven't heard back from her, shall I contact her and tell her never mind??

Barbara is always very busy, but does return phone calls promptly.

Back
Top Bottom