Freeloading chickens are slowly starting to give back!!

Katieboosmama

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Advance, NC
My little RIR Rosie has been dutifully giving us (almost) daily eggs since the first of the month (only skipped 2 days so far) This morning after I got her egg went back out and found one in the run.
celebrate.gif
I think it was from my BO Buttercup. Must have taken her by surprise. Went to clean out the coop just a bit ago, and found a nice sagey colored on in the nest box, so must have been one of the EE's
clap.gif
So now that is 3 so far today! 3 now laying, 4 more to go!!!!
woot.gif

I love this time of year! Just a few months ago I was bemoaning the lack of eggs. Buying both eggs and chicken feed bugs the snot out of me! Since solstice, they've been picking up gradually. Yesterday I was up to 10 eggs
smile.png
. Longer days are wonderful!

I've been frustrated this winter having to buy eggs, too. We only had 5 that had been laying eggs, plus the 6 girls that were approaching egg laying age, and when one of the older 5 went through a long molt that dropped us to four layers, two of which were the only ones that layed consistently.

The past few weeks our littles have started laying, and now we are up to 6 or 8 eggs a day again, Yay!!

Now my BO is molting and the other molter is still not laying yet. When they are all in production, I think we may see nearly a dozen a day. Then I can start selling my eggs and recoup the chicken feed costs. Come on Spring!

I have been lucky this year, I haven't had a month this winter without a few eggs. It is quite unusual for me, I did switch to a higher protein feed in the fall, I think that's why. Congratulations on getting some.

My good girl Agatha has laid all winter long, 5-6 eggs a week. Two of my four were broody in the fall and started laying semi-consistently about a month ago (4-5 a week). Fern, my last one laid pretty consistently until right before Christmas when she decided to have a mini-moult. No eggs since, but I'm hopeful she will begin to lay soon. Mine will all be one year old the first of April.

I have been fortunate. I had 8 hens of varying ages, and consistently got 3 to 4 eggs a day since someone was always broody, or molting. I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray's back in late June, and that batch started laying in late November and early December. I get, on average, between 18 and 28 eggs per DAY. To say my egg selling business is going gangbusters would be an understatement! I don't think I or my family have had an egg that's over 2 days old for breakfast!

I have:
RIR (2)
EE (1)
Black Minorcas (several)
SLW (4)
BO (2)
Cochins (1) - this is my broody who rarely lays eggs.
Buff Brahma (1)
New Hampshire Reds (3)
1 Buff Laced Polish Rooster (1)
Black Sex Link (1)
Barnvelders (4)
White and Light Brown Leghorns (several)

I have a total of 32 birds altogether, including the rooster. He's figuring out his job and is comical to watch sometimes. He's been great with humans though - no aggression whatsoever. I hope it stays that way, because I'm not keeping another one that's mean :).

I'm new to chickens. I have 4 Isa Browns that are about 19 weeks old. Still waiting on eggs
bow.gif

It has been pretty cold here though. Already planning on adding to my flock. I'm hooked!!

I'm new to chickens. I have 4 Isa Browns that are about 19 weeks old. Still waiting on eggs
bow.gif

It has been pretty cold here though. Already planning on adding to my flock. I'm hooked!!

These are my first ones as well, got them in September at about 5 weeks old. They are now right at 25 weeks. Hopefully yours will kick in soon :)

Back
Top Bottom