Freeranging unsupervised?

How do people get the chickens back in the coop if you have them out for only a couple hours? Do you let them out before it's time for them to roost at night or do you bribe them with treats?
Yep, treats work everytime. Mine love grapes big time! Also meal worms. I can get them into the run any time even if they have only free ranged for 10 minutes because they come a runnin for treats!
:wee:wee:wee:wee

Coyote3.jpg
I have a game camera outside my run - I've gotten pics of possum, raccoons and coyote, non can get in. This big guy was around during the day.

Last edited:
Mine are let out in the morning and don't come in till night, except for the Silkie and bantams, who I try to lock up to protect them. I can sometimes tell what day looks like a hawkish day to me, sunny and warm, or calm and dusky. I lock up the bantams on those days.

I usually trust my layers almost completely to be safe from hawks, mainly because I've never lost one normal chicken to one, and because they have witnessed several attacks and attempts and scram for cover when a shadow swoops overhead.
Only my Polish, and Serama roo have been targeted. Little Ricky survived his ordeal, and is on strict confinement for his own good. The sooner I get another chicken run for all my special chickens, the better. Then I can relax ( mostly)

Coyotes are another deal entirely. At least we can eliminate those when they make the bad decision to come onto our property in broad daylight. I am rambling, and probably no one cares about my flock, but oh well! I like talkin' bout my chickens!
:duc

I free range my chickens but had to make some expensive "adjustments" to keep them safe from day time coyote raids. The coyotes would rush in from the trees and quickly grab a chicken and run off. It would only take seconds to happen. I fenced in an area of about 50 ft x 50 ft with 4 foot fencing. Now the coyotes cannot "run in" and grab the chickens and they sure won't jump a fence in the daytime because my dog is out there as well now. So far so good. The chickens could absolutely fly over the fence, but like I said so far they are content with their "yard" and are staying in it. I sometimes sit out and watch them and sometimes I just leave them alone. I am concerned that one day the grass will look greener on the other side of the fence and MY dog will get them! :fl

We Free Range Spring Summer Fall. Although here on the 16th of April (Spring) we are looking at 6 new inches of snow and over 3 feet of ice still on the lakes with Opening Fishing scheduled for 26 days from now. I doubt the fishing opener will take place in boats.

As by their taste and perhaps design (skinny narrow legs in soft deep white stuff) walking in snow is not high on my flock's things to do so they stay in the run when we have white stuff on the ground or impeding their range.

So the first 5 years or so I had minimal damage to unsupervised Free Ranging. Aerial predators being our only problem. Bald Eagles nesting near by on neighboring property. But this has been only as of late years. "They've discovered us, or figured us out." We also saw a recent boon in the fox population here. And this winter after the run door always open as per usual during the day. I lost a spent hen and an extra cockerel. (If I had to pick my losses, I couldn't have done it better) Broad Daylight. Nonetheless. Knowing my birds will not go out anyways, doors have closed the rest of this whole relentless winter.

I'm considering my options on the open door this spring when the snow fades away given the surge in foxes. I've thought about tying up my labrador down at the coop. (She would not stay there or notice trouble snoozing on the deck or be a deterrant while sunning on the deck, I fear). The chickens for the most part have left the coop for the day. But Hens laying eggs will return for a bit. And that is my concern. So the labrador idea tying her close to the coop entry.

I have to agree that letting your flock out at different times of day is a great idea. The animals get to know our schedule and the dog's schedule...etc. etc.

I think also I will look at my feeder situation. No doubt the foxes were following mouse trails. I barely have a mouse around right now. Keeping a closed feeder system and rodent population down is good all around.

Last edited:
I bought mine about five yrs ago, was $50. Takes awesome pics and video during the day, at night it will if it has good batteries in it. If the batteries are down it will still take pics forever but far distant shots at night the flash isn't bright enough.
View attachment 1343586 View attachment 1343588
Ooh--that looks like a nursing mama fox! Watch out.

Back
Top Bottom