"Freezer Camp" in our Minnesota Coop. Frozen Wattles on Roo.

How could you have known? I had to find out the hard way. That's why cushion combs and pea combs were developed for colder areas. It just happens, don't feel bad, he'll be fine. He'll look a little smoother, but you can just tell people that you're working on a project breed.

He was suppose to be a she. But he took care of my flock so good this summer that I decided to keep him on. Little did we know what we were getting into. I've only heard of Vaseline, Vaseline, Vaseline. Which works like basically nothing at all.

To be honest my research didn't include appropriate combs/wattles for appropriate climates either. I'm to blame. Just figured a New Hampshire bred Hearty to Northeast climates would fair just as well in the upper midwest. That was the extent of my research unfortunately. And I'm constantly on my city slicker friends who own high energy hunting dogs and live in apartments and can't figure out why their dogs are so nuts.--because as dog owners they didn't do their research. Hypocrisy in its finest form.

you are being entirely too hard on yourself. Bag balm is a little thicker than vaseline and it gets really gloppy and hard to shake off when its cold. Owning chickens is a wonderful, frustrating, devastating, thrilling learning experience. Your friends at BYC are here to give you the benefit of their own experience, that's what's so great about this forum. You are a good chicken owner. Not too many people actually involve a vet in frostbitten combs and wattles. Don't be so hard on yourself. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. Channel the Buddha.

ive never heard of bag balm, sounds like good stuff. thats the great thing about byc you get others experience and tips if you wernt a good chicken mummy you wouldnt be on here to get it. roger couldnt be in more caring hands! your doing everything for him. as for researching breeds, i had to find out where mine came from,phone them and ask what breed they were! when i asked the school what breed they said 'chicken'! lol
like rbaker said we learn as we go and i think we all learn a lot by making mistakes with these birds. thats why we constantly changing setups and methods. you are hard on yourself but you shoulnt be,your doing a fantastic job taking care of him. he looks worse now because of the colour but once he heals he will look much better. feel proud of what your doing not bad for what you couldmt have known. :) xxx

Thank you rbaker and shell.

Think I'll do a yoga session today or take my dog for a good walk today.
smile.png

This weekend I watch Roger's gray portion of wattles shrivel down to hard black eschar. and there has been some seperation and a little bit of bleeding where the eschar meets the healthy red. The points on his comb are complete los and he'll be definitely more aerodynamic with less comb poking up and wattles dragging less. I'm going to do a trimming/debridement session today--well as much as I feel comfortable with. Part of that eschar still looks well attached and not ready to slough so easily yet...but can maybe take away some of the weight of it. I'll have to see how willing he is. I did give some electrolyte and probiotic (Merrick's Blue Ribbon) in the water this weekend. And I swear he perked up even more and his weight and crop looked fuller for it even. Subtle changes of course, but I do watch him and the flock almost every day. I have today's doses to give him of the cephalexin then he is done. Will do probiotics again in water a day or two this week just as a follow up.

I dropped a bucket in the run by accident near his hens and they scattered and spooked from the bucket and bent down to pick it up and he came over and pecked my hand like the good protector he is and told me to leave them alone. I like him when he's feisty.

Well thats sounding better and better, it will be great to get some weight off but i agree on taking it off in little stages and letting it naturally heal and sloth off. just taking off what your comfortable with. i think your really brave to do it in the first place :)
also its lovely to hear he is being feisty and eating better. aerodynamic!
lau.gif
i love how you phrase things! lol
pics, when you have time? be nice to see the photo diary of healing xxx

Shell: Definitely will get photos tomorrow. Last two tips are gone as of today on the comb. :(

I looked at the wattles today for trimming and still intimidated by these! I pull some more just a little bit away from red and it oozed a little blood like a ripped scab when he jerked his head away from me. Will just do this slowly with peroxide cleanups and let things naturally loosen. Put antibiotics ungt on comb and wattle area that oozed. He's definitely feeling better. I'm glad I did antibiotics on him given the extent and smell. I'm not sure the superficial frostbites need it; but I'm just glad I did.

The vet's office called to check on Roger and ifilled them all in about where he's at and about the merricks. They sounded glad I had done that. And I probably prattled on like a proud chicken mom longer than I should have. Totally obnoxious about Chickens I am. Glad I have you folks for that-- that's for sure Lol. :gig

-10 f tonight. :th

Last edited:

Here's big Tootsie tonight. Up on the roost and ready to call 'er a day. Snuggled between some Easter Eggers. Bless him. He's showing what his shortened wattles are going to look like. Eschars still in tact yet. I love his sweet eyes. "Now What do you want?!"

This is the view from under the roost tonight. A dangerous place to be. LOL. But I came out without any special baptism. Here on the wattle to the left you can see seperation happening of the eschar from the healthy red. But still pretty stuck on yet. The Right side doesn't really show any sign of sloughing at all. They are so tough and a convuluted mess i may just let mother nature slough these most of the way.

He's just so sweet. He was preening his hackle feathers tonight...and I could hear the hard eschars clackity clacking together while he preened.
love.gif
lau.gif
and
sad.png
at the same time.

-17F for a low last night, and -10F for tonight. More coop time until about noon today and then tomorrow until noon too until it gets above zero. I let them come out to the run when it's 5 or so above. That's where my comfort level is now just watching everybody. Roger, of course, their leader is most susceptible. Coop maintained last night at about 20 degrees F with heat lamp and banked up snow for insulation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom