"Freezer Camp" in our Minnesota Coop. Frozen Wattles on Roo.

well done! wow youve really got a handle on this . its lovely when a vet tells you your doing everything right,it gives you peace of mind. rogers in good capable hands :) xx

So today as the roads were clear I got to work and Vet right in town was open. I called and explained my situation with Roger and that I Had pro-pen-G on order and wondering if I could buy appropriately sized syringes for injecting. And also advice on how many days I should administer when it arrived.

They were very nice and turns out that this veterinarian is an avian Vet! works on cockatiels and has a few chickens in her clientele. She asked me about my research and she felt that Roger would need a series of 10 shots alternating days on each breast muscle with a 22 ga needle and about .3 to .4 ccs. She then said that Penicillin pro caine was not really recommended for parrots and cockatiels. But chickens might be different. When she said the caine word my red flags went up. there have been several instances I've read where analgesics containing "caines" are not good for chickens so, I said "now I'm not really interested in giving that. It sounds too risky." She agreed Roger would need to be watched if I did give it. She probably was just being gentle with me and my ego about trying it. Crap. She recommended Baytril tablets for him...and a 10 day dose was going to cost me $50. I know that Baytril is raved about on here but, to be honest for just medicine I would not go there. So asked about option. She said I would have to get more of this next medicine in him 3.5 cc orally twice daily, but it was a sweet liquid, cephalexin at 50mg/ml. And we fared better at $27. So I got home and got the first dose in him over my lunch hour...wrapped in blanket and prying his beak open at 1cc at a time so he doesn't aspirate.

I guess there are just different theories and thoughts on different meds. And what people are comfortable with. So then after getting roger back down at the coop, i checked my phone messages. The company out of Texas couldn't ship my penicillin because I'd given a P.O. Box and they needed physical address. I asked if I could cancel the order and credit my credit card. Ha. What luck. They were so nice and said "sure can."

Did a Hibiclens cleaning of comb and wattles, peroxide and iodine to lift dead tissues and Vetericyn, and antibiotic ointment to occlude. Wattles are shriveling way down now. I noted the swelling wasn't as much today. yay.

Down to the coop I go to peel him off the roost for his second dose of cephalexin. 32 degrees for a high today. Thank you, God.

Last edited:
Bogtown Chick Here is a picture of my roo with the frostbite (his lady friend wanted in on the photo too). Doesn't look quite as bad as yours, but sad none the less. I think it could have been avoided, but our other roo was being a jerk and not letting George back in the coop on those really cold days.

Oh your poor boy Martha. He's so beautiful too. His color is gorgeous by the way. Bless him. Yep he'll have a bit of his wattles trimmed back wont he? Come summer our boys will be in their glory again. Little deep freeze coming for Thursday, Friday, Saturday for us. Come on spring!

nice catch on the meds! glad you found a good vet even if just for advice and meds its nice to have an expert opinion and good to know your doing everything right :)
glad its not costing you the earth too!

Had Roger up for 2nd debridement session last night. another 1/2 cm or so trimmed off back blade of comb. He's already looking so different to me. I think the smell is getting less and less. The antibiotics are working. His wattles are going to be greater than 1/2 loss i'm willing to bet. I'm still not real keen on trimming those back as they seem to get smaller and smaller telling me that lymph systems are still functioning down there possibly. so far I'm only comfortable trimming back black hardened eschar. Not those juicy gray bits. Sorry all if this is getting graphic. Within the wattles where the gray/black meets the red I can feel a fibrous "walling off". this is good I'm sure and part of this big healing process. I'll try to get some photos today as he is changing.

He's been slower to get off the roost in the morning for last two days and yesterday AM he had this defeated look about him. I don't know if it's just in regards to me though as he's been handled quite a bit getting his antibiotic into him twice a day. For sure when this cephalexin is done though I have a packet of electrolytes/probiotic water supplement to get into the water for a few days to help replenish him and his crew can have a good swig of that too. I did give his high hen a little pet this morning though and he came over and lightly pecked my hand, telling me he's still got a bit of sass in him yet where I'm concerned. I didn't even get mad I just smiled and said, "that's my boy."

Last edited:
excellent sounds like good news if the smell is less. id be the same i wouldnt cut into any juicy bits just the black dead bits. sounds like the wattles are changing so guess its a wait and see situation as you say you dont want to cut anything till you know its dead. he will look bit different of course but georgeous none the less with war wounds to be proud of! he is male after all! lol it'll add charater :) and a great story of survival!
they do seem to be more tame when theyve been through a lot with you but they also seem to see you coming and go "what now?!" lol
glad his still got his sass! i did read that antibiotics can reduce their appitite so maybe watch to make sure thats not happening. whats your probiotic called? wanted to get some, i have electrolites but thats different isnt it? or is it?!
hmm.png

ill keep looking out for the pics, its nice to 'see' how he's doing, and what a good job your doing
thumbsup.gif

Here is Mr. Stinky, Roger. As you can see major loss in the wattles. Comb has most points gone and the remaining will be a loss as well. It's such a shame...but in reality after this first year, I'm wondering if the following years will be as bad now. I feel that they won't There's just a little too much fleshiness to the wattles yet for me to feel comfortable to stard snipping away. The tip of the comb, I've now done 3 debridements of freeze dried chicken jerkey up there. Still some smell to it but not quite as bad. Been on antibiotic for 3 days. Tonight we get to single digits and tomorrow night down to 5 below 0 or so. I took the liberty of turning my coop into an igloo insulating the lower half completely in snow. The difference inside actually is amazing. I've got the heat lamp on and secured at two points and wire wrapped around exposed bulb area.

Tonight at about 5:30 or 6:00 pm I went down and picked him off the roost for his night time dose of cephalexin. he had been sleeping. I wrapped him in the baby blue fleece blanket I usually carry him up in to protect from wind and to control his wings. When I got him to the house and sat in the chair with him. I laid him on his side and his feet were drawn up and relaxed his beak would open readily for me and he swallowed all his medicine a cc at a time without a fight. I think he's getting sick of things too or he just knows he doesn't need to fight any more. Just so resigned to letting me do what I needed to do. Oh he's a sweetheart. Took him back down and tucked him between Rosie and Sylvia...some of his higher hens.

Last edited:
Bag Balm People! As soon as the weather channel says Freezing or Below, Put, No Smear, Slather. As if you were getting ready to send him swimming in the arctic, Bag Balm all over those single combs and pendulous Wattles. The wattles dip in the water every time they drink and then they freeze. Bag balm provides a protective coating from the water.

Always preemptorily bag balm those extremities. Or move to the South, you people are crazy. I used to live in Woodstock, NY. Who needs -40? Crazy I tell you.

Please use bag balm at any hint of freezing weather. It doesn't come off easily. If its warm enough to slough off, then you're gonna be okay, but if its cold enough, the stuff will stay on like nobody's business and absolutely protect those combs and wattles. I put it on the girls too. And toes. Its non-toxic and it soften and protects your hands, plus it kills any mites that might be on those combs, wattles and toes (any mites that have survived the cold).

Did I mention that you should use Bag Balm?

Last edited:
I already feel pretty bad about the situation this Rooster is in.

I'll get Bag Balm on my shopping list for future sub zero's. For what it's worth I feel pretty lucky to live where I do, with the exception of these few days mother nature gives us -20 or worse.

Thanks rbaker for your recommendation of Bag Balm. For certain, I Wish I would have known about it's preventative uses 3 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom