Freezing blueberries

Oh, well, BLACKberries, that's a different story. We don't pay for those, and they crop up even in our landscaping! We foraged some just a couple weeks ago, up at the lake.

2626851536_95442e8a6f.jpg

2626856256_70dc2bc1b9.jpg

2626863896_f81a48f387.jpg

And into the freezer they go.
2626046569_45958e4ed9.jpg

Blackberry sorbet, blackberry cobbler, blackberry pie, blackberry jam, blackberries in my mouth....they'd never make it to my freezer.
big_smile.png

Quote:
OUCH!!!
I got some yesterday, my friend crazychickengirl picked them for me! I got 2 1/2 pounds for $5.00. We are going to get more later on. And last night I went down in my woods and picked 1 1/2 pounds of black raspberries!
big_smile.png
And of course those were free.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
I love wilds - they are tiny first of all, but they pack a lot of flavor for a small berry. I made some of my best ice cream ever with wild blues.

I didn't go picking last weekend but we're in prime raspberry and coming into blues. We have wild raspberry and blackberry bushes which we pick along our driveway, but I also go to PYO places (several options within 15 minutes).

Anyway, farm blues are good too, don't get me wrong, but I'd take wild any day. yum! I GPS marked a spot hiking where I found a ton but haven't been there in a few years, maybe time to check it again...

Also, wild blueberries are very low to the ground. To pick them is similar to picking strawberries--they are that low to the ground. But it is sooo worth it, b/c even though the berries are small, they are much more flavourful than the highbush blueberries.

OUCH!!!
I got some yesterday, my friend crazychickengirl picked them for me! I got 2 1/2 pounds for $5.00. We are going to get more later on. And last night I went down in my woods and picked 1 1/2 pounds of black raspberries! big_smile And of course those were free. big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

:thun
hit.gif

I got a PM about where I can pick berries right here in Texas! I'm gonna make a day trip.
bun.gif

Southeast Alaska has highbush blueberries, you plop your tush in a patch and pick away. My mom used to pick with a five gallon ice cream bucket. Man I miss real blueberries, and raspberries. My hometown had wild raspberries all along the road sides, and salmon berries and cranberries and cloud berries. Dang, I guess I'm going to have to drive out to the hill country and get peaches instead.

Enjoy and think of us.

We have some wild blueberries here, on bushes that aren't low to the ground, maybe planted by Oregon Trail settlers. They never taste very good, though
lol.png

We live just east of the Cascade Mountain Range, so we have WILD HUCKLEBERRIES! Those are low to the ground and very tasty! You just pick pick pick away. It is good foraging.

Since we live on two creeks, we have wild blackberries for MILES. There are so many, no one could pick them all.

I do love this time of year
smile.png

moms folly, I LOVE SALMON BERRIES!

Last edited:
When picking huckleberries, how many times do you have to say, "I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY?" Because if it was us, we'd have to say it a LOT.

But then, we're dorks.

Back
Top Bottom