Freezing dandelions for winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tnewton, Sep 28, 2014.

1. tnewton

tnewton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    My ducks LOVE dandelion greens. They are abundant in my yard now (probably because we haven't mowed in a while - ahem). Has anyone tried to freeze the leaves and give them to the ducks in winter? I would think they might become a bit mushy, but my ducks seem to eat any leafy green that I put in their water. Trying to think ahead!

2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    There's nothing wrong with trying it!!!! [​IMG]

3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    You can give this-->http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/07/how-i-freeze-kale-other-green-things/ a try. I've never frozen dandelion greens, but I've used this method with things like kale and collard greens.

1 person likes this.
  4. tnewton

tnewton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    That is a great link, thank you!! [​IMG]

5. Massey

Massey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    if your looking for treats for your ducks i'm using frozen peas right now (defrosted first) and they love them,

i just buy a bag, 49c in the local shop put it in the fridge over night and then give them a few handfuls every day, they love them!!

6. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Absolutely! There is no treat that even comes close to peas with our ducks. A 2 pound bag of frozen peas is a repeating item on our weekly grocery list. We given them around half a pound at a time, but they would eat the entire bag at once if we'd let them and still want more.

1 person likes this.
  7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If I was to bother, I would simply sun dry them (dehydrate) just like they do for hay...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by