Freezing Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by squat, Mar 7, 2009.

1. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    We only have 5 hens, but getting 5 eggs a day can add up pretty quickly. We give some away to friends and family, but I'm wondering if eggs can be frozen to be used for cooking and/or baking at a later time?

2. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    I've frozen cartons of eggwhites for up to six months. At the time, I was making lots of cheesecakes and had way too many eggwhites. They made terrific angelfood cakes.

Hope this helps!! Michele.

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I've never frozen whole eggs, but I have frozen the whites and yolks until they were needed.

4. Haney3

Haney3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2008
    Golden, Colorado
    I have a friend that buys 30 dozen eggs at a time. She cracks them & puts them in freezer bags. On receipes she uses a lot she put in each bag what the receipe calls for.

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Freeze them in individual cups, then pop them out and put them in a freezer bag. Be sure you break the yolk and stir it slightly before freezing or the yolk will be rubbery when you thaw it. I've heard that if you stir in a little sugar (for dessert recipes) or salt (for other type recipes) with the eggs before freezing it will also help the yolk not to get rubbery.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i spray a little non stick cooking sprat into a muffin tin and break the eggs into them...

throw it in the freezer and in a few hours i will pop them out..

if i know i will be doing a lot of baking like at Christmas i will freeze 2 - 3 per muffin tin

7. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

Huh, never knew you could freeze them! Thanks for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by