freezing eggs???

Sumi, re: how to make Heart Shaped boiled eggs http://www.annathered.com/2010/09/29/how-to-make-a-heart-shaped-egg/

I did like Donnavee, but got lazy and put 4 eggs into the ziplock, then shook the bag to scramble them. I've been eating the frozen/thawed eggs and i don't notice a difference in taste or texture. Before i froze them in the ziplock bags, I tried the icecube tray thing and couldn't get the eggs out of the tray.

CG

I've done the same and as long as they have been beaten together before freezing, they work well for making scrambled eggs or for a cake recipe that needs 3 eggs.

I have also successfully frozen 6 egg whites together in foil containers. Allow them to naturally thaw (out in the kitchen or in the fridge if you have time). Then used these to make pavlova. Not the fluffiest meringue ever made - but my family and friends couldn't tell the differenece. The 6 yolks I beat together with 2 tsp of sugar and use to make a rich cake which is one of our favourites. You can keep egg yolks for savoury dishes by replacing the sugar with 1/4 tsp salt.

I've been very happy with these methods and plan to use them all through this summer whilst we have more than we can use - and then use the frozen ones through the winter. Then I won't be so impatient with the girls waiting for them to come back into lay.

Sumi, re: how to make Heart Shaped boiled eggs http://www.annathered.com/2010/09/29/how-to-make-a-heart-shaped-egg/

I did like Donnavee, but got lazy and put 4 eggs into the ziplock, then shook the bag to scramble them. I've been eating the frozen/thawed eggs and i don't notice a difference in taste or texture. Before i froze them in the ziplock bags, I tried the icecube tray thing and couldn't get the eggs out of the tray.

CG
thumbsup.gif
Thanks! I'm going to make some for my DH for his Valentine's breakfast and see what he says
smile.png

Yes, they'll be fine. Just defrost them slowly and check for shell damage.

CG
I posted this earlier but the thread is getting large, so thought I'd mention it here. The ice cube tray thing didn't work for me either, both because of difficulty in removing and because I like freezing them in one egg increments for recipes. My solution is to whisk a dozen eggs (or desired amount) one egg at a time. As each egg is whisked, pour it into a lightly sprayed muffin tin cup. When frozen, remove from freezer and let sit in cold water for a minute or two, then they more easily pop out of the tins. You can also use a butter knife to pry gently around the edges if you have any problem removing them from the tin. Then store in a jar, Ziploc, or other freezer container. Just pull out the number called for in your recipe and thaw. Easy-peasy:)

Sorry I gave you such a short and sour answer! Temperatures below 30* can kill the embryo, which is just a tiny little possibility in fertile eggs, waiting for the right temperature to start developing. I've heard of people hatching eggs from the fridge, with mixed results, but not from frozen.

I haven't read all the posts so I am most likely repeating, But I have frozen extra eggs and used them in baking... the best way to do this is to slightly scramble raw egg with a 1/4 ts. of sugar or salt. depending on how you plan to use them. I usually put 2 in a baggie as most recipes call for 2 or more eggs

Back
Top Bottom