Freezing in Missouri ❄️

Hi guys!
My names Morgan and I’m currently living near Fort Leonard Wood,MO.

My husband I are really new to the chicken parent life. We purchased our first chicks the first week of September(Orschlen&Cackle Hatchery) we have 2 RIR, 4 Buffies, 3 Dominiques, 2 Light Brahmas, 3 GL Wyandottes, 5 EE’s all between 10-12 weeks old and we just added 6 new barnyard mix babes yesterday!

We have talked about having a small hobby farm for years and thought what better way to start?! After 3 years of BEGGING for chickens, husband finally gave in. Now, he can’t get enough of them! We have a 2 year old son that LOVES helping with the chickens and they run right up to him. Every evening he will go “tell the chickies Night night “ and squeezes a hug onto whichever girl doesn’t run away .

I join BYC because I would much rather hear first hand experience and be able to ask questions and get real life answers.

Thanks for allowing me to join!

Freezing here in Springfield too!

Hello Morgan,

It's freezing here in northern Iowa too -- 9 degrees this morning! I still have a couple of Sapphire Gems in an upstairs bedroom brooder because, although they have done field trips outdoors, I can't bear to send them outdoors overnight yet. It MAY get up to the mid-40s tomorrow. And since this old farmhouse doesn't have any heat on the second floor, it shouldn't be that tough on them to move out.

It sounds like you have a great flock. Congratulations on wearing down your husband's resistance. Your son will learn so much from having chickens, and you will learn so much from BYC. Welcome!!

I’m pretty new also but can I give a small piece of advice. It would be good to train your son to close his eyes when he gives his chicken hugs. They love to peck shiny things and that includes eyes. There’s no malice intended. Shiny thing = peck. I know from experience and a trip to the eye doc with a scratched cornea. We have an indoor silkie and we keep dollar store safety glasses handy for when he sits near our heads.
You are going to enjoy this site. It has the best chicken people. I wish I found it BEFORE getting our chicks. I would have been better prepared.

I call my buff Orpingtons buffies lol! Unfortunately, I can’t tell them apart AT ALL so they’re all nameless as of right now. Poor things!
Get the leg bands that are assorted colors. Our 5 pretty girls are RIR, Black Star and Light Brahma. We have 3 RIR and put bands on. Funny thing is, now I know who is who by personality. We live our girls!

Back
Top Bottom