Freezing Meat how long?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by doodledo, Feb 4, 2009.

1. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    I just read an article that said when you freeze fresh chickens the parts are only good for 9 months and a whole chicken is good for 1 year. Is this true? I always thought frozen meat would be good for 2 years.
    TIA

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

depends on how its done - are we talking like vacuum packed or just plain old put it a zip lock bag?

I've always heard 1 - 1.5 years for vacuum packed and about 6 months for other types - it all depends on how well its kept from being freezer burned.

Food never lasts that long in my house [​IMG]

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I think two years is definitely pushing it- I've never heard more than a year, and depending on how you package it, it could me much less.

4. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    I did vacuum seal it. What if you pressure cook it and can it?

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    lots of variables hard to give real numbers of course you can go places that will give you definite numbers but they are using averages and really looking at worse case scenarios...meat usually lasts about a year for me...season to season (old deer comes out when the new goes in and old chickens are out when new comes in...not that there is ever much)

6. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    Last weekend I had a roaster from June of 2007. I was vacuum sealed.
    No problem and tasted great.

7. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually raise enough for the year and haven't had any carry overs yet.

I did have one with some frost bite and I just marinaded the heck out of it, slow cooked it, and was told it was some of the best chicken they have ever had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by