freezing temps found clutch

ShouldabeenaVET

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2017
wyoming/montanee line
ok so found a huge clutch of eggs in hay today. Things around these parts have been C O L D lately.. 14 below at night sometimes more. anyway 26 eggs and they hadnt cracked but I'm not eating them. weird question ? What do you think it I cook them and feed them back to chickens and pea fowl?
I have a peacock that has been so cold I am worried about him a bit. He just lays in the hay in the barn and isn't moving much. Pea Hens are o.k. I was thinking of cooking up some protein and feeding it to them. I am baking a package of ground beef ( we grow our own) and the broken thawed eggs in a casserole. Thoughts? the eggs I found are from the chickens just an fyi

If they are all only a couple days old it'll be fine; I have fed mine that before. If they are about a week or older don't feed it to to the fowl or they will get diarrhea and possibly more major problems.

My chickens will not eat ground beef. They’ll pick out everything else. Fish is most popular next to cooked chicken. Mealworms offer great protein.
It would probably be worth it to actually pick up your rooster to look him over. If he’s off...something is going on. Chickens by nature will hide or try and act normal when sick or injured pretending and going thru the motions. Sounds like he might need a looking at. Not just visually but a good exam. Best wishes

I did catch the peacock and put him in the broody house. which is a bit warmer than the barn. He is starting to grow a new tail, vibrant colors, he is missing a toe from before I got him it got froze. I can't see anything wrong with him.

Back
Top Bottom