Freezing temps n water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jowilt, Dec 15, 2016.

1. jowilt

jowilt Just Hatched

Dec 23, 2012
    It is only to be in the teens today n next couple days with some wind, making it cooler yet. I fill a kiddie pool every day for my ducks, usually only the female gets in, n lays in there all day. With it being so fridge, should I still provide the water???

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Good question. Ducks in the wild have to deal with frozen water, so they are obviously able to take the cold, however as most species are migratory this wouldn't be a permanent situation either. I'm interested to see what people say.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I take away my ducks kiddie pool and stop filling their stock tank when the weather gets to freezing temps. The weather in my area fluctuates; for instance the high for Friday is 55 and the high for Saturday is 8. On warmer days I fill a concrete mixing tub. Because it is short and fits in the space by my faucet I don't have to keep a hose connected through winter. I have a heated bucket and dog bowl for their drinking/head ducking water. That way they always have water to drink.

Humidity (as in wet duck in the coop) combined with freezing temperatures increases the chances of frostbite.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    My ducks drink from the pools, so what I do when it gets below freezing is break a small hole by the edge of the pool so they can drink, but not swim. My reasoning is if its warm enough to melt the ice, then it's warm enough to swim. I wouldn't let my duck swim if it's below freezing, because the risk of frostbite

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I never have the pool filled unless it is 0 or warmer......Or if the sun is shining and heating up the area the pool is at.......I provide stock dishes for them to drink from....Always someone standing ankle deep and oiling up..........Silly Ducks....
    Anyways...Ducks do not need to bath all the time.......

Cheers!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by