freezing tomatoes

Well....................

They aren't going to come out like you would get right off the vine. They would be good for soups or sauses, but that's it.

I blanch them. Peel them. Let them cool. Pop them in the freezer.

I can tell you that they are much better if you stew them down first or better yet put them up in cans.

I freeze all of my tomatoes cause I just don't can stuff hardly. Take them and peel them, quarter them or cut them to whatever size you want (soups, chili, spaghetti size etc...) then let them cool and put them in freezer bags. They will taste just like you pulled them fresh and cooked with them. I have been doing this for years and you can't tell the difference in canned and frozen. I promise.

I use mine for sauce.

I blanche, peel, squeeze out the seeds and that jelly goo, then add a tsp of salt and some basil. Then I macerate them by hand, bag them and freeze them in gallon bags.

When it comes time to defrost I just throw the bag in the pot until I can get the tomatoes out, then cook it down. Since the salt was added they cook down a lot faster. I'm paranoid about canning
hmm.png
This has worked well for us for years.

I Freeze mine too....like everyone said there no longer good for all you recipies after you freeze them. I love putting them in my chicken soup whole and it cooks down into this red golden broth delicious!
woot.gif
Aslo great for stews.

When I have frozen tomatoes, I've quartered them, frozen them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and then bagged them. They are great in anything cooked. I found that after they were frozen, running them under a little hot water loosened the skin and you could peel it right away.

Back
Top Bottom