Freezing water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Dec 5, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    My chickens and ducks water is freezing over night.
    How do you keep this from happening or what do you use?
    Thanks!

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:I use 2 one gallon heated dog bowls.Never even a thin layar of ice in the morning.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Yup, the heated dog bowls work great. We put a board across the middle to discourage swimming. For their pool one of the birdbath heaters works great. Have been doing this for about 10 years with no problems.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Alright great! Thanks guys!

5. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Rubber water dish filled 2 times a day.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I use a black rubber dish and pop the ice out and refill. I don't have/want electricity in my coop, so they just get the water filled a few times a day.

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hmm..... electricity, ducks and water.........hmmmmmmmm. I wouldn't. Just be vigilant with the refills.

8. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have metal pan that's about 5 or 6 inches deep with a tank heater in it. Works great for me. I have it split between the pen with my duck and the pen with my geese and chickens. Two birds one stone so to speak [​IMG] the side for the ducks has wire over it so they can't swim. For my muscovies who free range I have a black rubber dish that I break the ice out of in the morning and fill up. They usually keep it open during the day on their own.

9. jaycee

jaycee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I see some folks warning against using electric de-icers... will the ducks peck through the cords? I am curious because i have one and was planning to use it in the kiddie pool for the ducks, I didnt think they could break the insulation on the cord. Anyone seen this happen?

10. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I've used the heated bowls in my pheasant & chicken pens and a tank heater in a big pan for the ducks every winter for about 10 years now. Never had a problem with them pecking at the cords.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by