Freezing waterer in upstate New York

I live in Vermont and I also use the galvanized watered with the heated base plugged in with an extension cord. It shuts off above a certain temperature and doesn’t get real hot. I switch out to a plastic watered in the summer so my galvanized watered will get through a couple seasons.
Ok thanks! I think I'm going to go this route. What brand do you have for the metal waterer? I'm looking at either a little giant or harris currently. I'm not sure if brand makes a difference for these.

I use the same metal waterers, and prefer the 3 gallon size. The two gallon size would work for a few birds too. The five gallon size is heavy and awkward, and if carried by that small handle on top, the handle will fail.
I take mine outside to fill, and replace the top sleeve outside, so there's no real spillage inside.
Here we have an all weather hydrant next to the coop, and GFI outlets inside the coop.
For years we ran a surface outdoor rated electric cable to the coop, in conduit, and it worked well. Not to code, and finally all fixed up to code a few years ago. It actually wasn't all that expensive...
Mary

I need some help. I’ve been researching different ways to keep my waterer from freezing and can’t find what I think is the best solution. I live in upstate NY so it gets cold. I have 7 chickens including polish. I don’t want to use a heated dog dish as I fear my crested chickens feathers will get wet.

What works well for you? Do you keep your waterer inside the coop or outside?
I needed a waterer that held enough water so that my chickens did not run out for at least a couple weeks. I am too old and too afraid of falling when it is -20 degrees outside with 2 feet of snow and not being able to stand back up. I do not go out when it is nasty outside.

However, I do not want my birds to lack food and water. My waterer is a 13 gallon clear plastic tote with lid and horizontal nipples. I put a stock tank deicer inside the tote. Been using this system for 5 years now. Did have to replace the deicer this year. Even with temps in the -20s my birds have never been without thawed water. The water is kept outside in the run. The run has a roof. I also staple clear vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides of the run so the birds have a nice wind free place to spend the day.

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 0
  • waterer.jpg
    waterer.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 1
I use the same metal waterers, and prefer the 3 gallon size. The two gallon size would work for a few birds too. The five gallon size is heavy and awkward, and if carried by that small handle on top, the handle will fail.
I take mine outside to fill, and replace the top sleeve outside, so there's no real spillage inside.
Here we have an all weather hydrant next to the coop, and GFI outlets inside the coop.
For years we ran a surface outdoor rated electric cable to the coop, in conduit, and it worked well. Not to code, and finally all fixed up to code a few years ago. It actually wasn't all that expensive...
Mary
I agree the small size is perfect for a small amount of birds. I do use the five gallon. I only lift it by the handle (the handle under the cover) when it is less than half full. I carry out gallon jugs of water and fill it directly in the coop. We have a well and I worry about losing water in the winter. Keeping filled gallon jugs of water on hand ensures that I will have water for the birds.

I needed a waterer that held enough water so that my chickens did not run out for at least a couple weeks. I am too old and too afraid of falling when it is -20 degrees outside with 2 feet of snow and not being able to stand back up. I do not go out when it is nasty outside.

However, I do not want my birds to lack food and water. My waterer is a 13 gallon clear plastic tote with lid and horizontal nipples. I put a stock tank deicer inside the tote. Been using this system for 5 years now. Did have to replace the deicer this year. Even with temps in the -20s my birds have never been without thawed water. The water is kept outside in the run. The run has a roof. I also staple clear vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides of the run so the birds have a nice wind free place to spend the day.
I stapled clear plastic to three sides also. A little expensive, but it’s important to have happy birds!

We have a well and I worry about losing water in the winter. Keeping filled gallon jugs of water on hand ensures that I will have water for the birds.
We have a well and lose power, usually at least once a year. I just now realized I need to fill jugs up to store water for the chickens. 🤦‍♀️ Thanks for the reminder!

I need some help. I’ve been researching different ways to keep my waterer from freezing and can’t find what I think is the best solution. I live in upstate NY so it gets cold. I have 7 chickens including polish. I don’t want to use a heated dog dish as I fear my crested chickens feathers will get wet.

What works well for you? Do you keep your waterer inside the coop or outside?
I have a 5 gallon waterer in their run. I bought a 16 inch round thermostatically controlled heated base. It only comes on when the temp drops to freezing. It uses electricity. we put the cord inside a piece of pvc pipe and glued it to the base. I do have a small 1 gallon waterer inside the coop just incase. The square is the feeder in the back. I have 1 inside as well.
Pics: heated base, believe we got it from chewy.com.
5 gallon waterer n feeder. (feeder was around $79
heater...dont remember what we paid but I think it was under $40

Attachments

• 20201024_113517.jpg
    20201024_113517.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201024_113536.jpg
    20201024_113536.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201010_113035.jpg
    20201010_113035.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 0