Freezing weather and CX

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
So Al Gore is not on my Xmas card list, again.

We have snow, and half of my CX are in a tractor. The other half are in my shop in brooders. The half that are in the tractor can't be moved. Butcher day is Friday. Should I just leave them there? Suggestions? Thanks!

Quote:
I would tarp the tractor to cut down on the draft, first off. Then I would make sure you feed them before dark so they have a nice full crop to keep them warm thru the night. I would also think giving them some extra corn in the feed would be helpful, as it has more carbs to help keep them warm.

I'm down to the last week or 2 for my last batch, and it has gotten colder than I would like it to been. I switched to an 18% feed, that has more corn, just to help keep them warm.

Goodluck!

They are doing fairly well. Lost 1 bird, but out of 48, that only makes 2 total from the day old stage. Dropped in some corn, about two coffee cans full, and gave them some warm water in the bucket. I'll do the same thing tomorrow am. Not super cold, 21 degrees right now, but still cold enough to be a concern. Considering moving the whole tractor tomorrow am close the the shop so I can run a cord and a light or two to them.

It was 20 here this morning. I went out and checked on them before work, and they were all parked side by side, and seemed to be doing fine. I'm sure glad I will be butchering these on Saturday.

Would you be able to put soem litter in one end, if the weather starts to turn again? My 5 week olds will be "roughing it" this weekend when it is in the low 30s and raining, but they have a covered shelter with tarps and a deep litter floor at one end.
Of course, if you are butchering on Friday that might be pointless
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom