French Black Copper Maran is not so Black. Or Copper.

dwalk

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Hi All,

I bought this chick as a French Black Copper Maran through a local feed store which ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. She sure looked like a FBCM as a chick, but now as an 11-week-old she is looking pretty blue to me with no copper in sight. I've never had this breed before, so I'm not sure what to expect but she doesn't quite look like all the FBCM pullets I've seen online. Any thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_1803 2.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

Pretty pullet! I raise Black Copper Marans and - as you already surmised - she's not a Black Copper Marans...but she could be a Blue Copper Marans. The lack of copper hackle feathers may be due to overmelanization (this often expresses as mostly-black or nearly all-black birds in Black Copper Marans, so it would make sense to see an overmelanized Blue Copper Marans that looks all blue). Of course, there are other blue birds that could look like that, including the feathered feet, such as an Olive Egger...🙂

You may also find this thread about BBS genetics helpful. I hope some BYCers who raise Blue Copper Marans will come by and weigh in, too.

I have a BCM also from Meyer hatchery. She looks nothing like yours. The feed store may of mixed them up in the bin by mistake.
She’s a cutie none the less. Have fun with her:)

Back
Top Bottom