French Black Copper Marans?

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
Could I have a French Black Copper Marans? I got him at 8 weeks old for $5 at a farm full of "barnyard mixes". Girlfriend told me "she" was a black sex link pullet at 10 weeks, but look at him now! Am I wrong? He's just a wonderful roo! I LOVE his saddle and hackle feathers!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Definitely not.

Black Copper Marans have a color that is easily created by crossing black with nearly any other color out there, so it is easy to confuse them.

But, your bird has clean legs, too dark of skin, too small of wattles, and the wrong comb type. Sorry. He's probably quarter Silkie and something else.

Shucks! These barnyard mutts have been a riot to figure out. No matter what he is, he's my keeper- good rooster for the flock so far. Can't wait to see what his kids look like this spring. Part silkie because of his real dark skin?

Yes. Also the fact that the bird behind him looks part Silkie, and his comb and wattles seem influenced too.

I took a real close look at the flock today..... silkie mixes. That explains a lot. I think there was a very busy silkie rooster at this farm. How does that effect egg laying and maturing? All the same? Everyone is 18-20 weeks. Eggs soon?

Back
Top Bottom