French Bulldog Puppies/Breeders?

Go to dog shows and find the French Bull Dog exhibitors. I've known a few people who snatched up a find of a life time by doing this. Many exhibitors have older pups who did not meet the standard and may be willing to deal for a good home. This breed is NOT cheap, and have a numerous genetic issues as already mentioned. However, they are a fun dog to be around. They are my favorite small breed with the Boston Terrier a close second.

Congrats on your Frenchie! Did the breeder request a deposit? (I have heard from some "Frenchie buying advice" websites that it is bad practice for them to request that. Has he/she had any health problems yet?
requesting a deposit is pretty standard in dog breeding. It's insurance for the breeder that, after turning away other buyers, that you don't back out and leave them scrambling to find a home for a dog they thought was sold.
I've heard of people reserving pups from breeders (no deposits required) who then turn around at 8 weeks old and say "oh we picked up a dog for free off craigs list" and now the breeder needs to contact all of the potential owners they turned away to see if anyone is still interested in a pup. In 99.999% of cases, the deposit is also non-refundable though they will usually let you transfer it to another breeding from the same kennel if there isn't a dog born that fits your needs.
Many breeders won't take deposits until the pups are at least born though, in a much anticipated breeding, people may be on a waiting list for years!

Remember Frenchies have a high prey drive :0 They were originally bred for pest control. As an 8 year volunteer for French Bulldog Rescue Network I can't begin to tell you how many dogs are surrendered because they want to prey on the family cat, hamster, tortoise and at our house, yes the chickens. We love Sophieana but she is never allowed close to the poultry. Ever.

Regarding a deposit... I agree with "dainerra"... a deposit is for both buyer AND seller protection, if you take your time and fine someone you really want a dog from, then I would pay a deposit. I recently wanted to buy a horse, but the deposit was non-refundable even if a major health problem was picked up on a vet check I was going to have done. I personally did not like this policy, and if I was selling an animal and a health problem was picked up I would happily refund a deposit!!

Here is my Frenchie "Tank" and friends on our Christmas card ;) note the "naughty" sign :) Tank lives in harmony with rabbits, chickens, horses, etc... BUT he is definitely high drive, just not high prey drive... or the way I raised him offset his prey drive, but he is a maniac over toys LOL!!

Regarding a deposit... I agree with "dainerra"... a deposit is for both buyer AND seller protection, if you take your time and fine someone you really want a dog from, then I would pay a deposit. I recently wanted to buy a horse, but the deposit was non-refundable even if a major health problem was picked up on a vet check I was going to have done. I personally did not like this policy, and if I was selling an animal and a health problem was picked up I would happily refund a deposit!!
this brings up another good point - a good breeder is going to have a contract stating what will happen if your pup ends up having a genetic health problem. Usually it is a pup from a future breeding. Dogs are a bit different because most genetic problems aren't found until the dog is older - at least a year or so though some smaller breeds can be screened for joint problems at 6 months or so. Either way, long after you have paid for the dog.

Read the contract carefully and feel free to ask questions about anything you don't agree with. Don't sign anything until you understand how it will affect your situation.

Also, many breeders are going to sell you a pup on limited registration, meaning that if you breed the resulting litter will be unable to be registered. If you are interested in breeding, ask what their criteria is for lifting the limited registration. Usually they will want you to show them that you have done something to prove the dog (obedience titles, conformation, or some other venue) and they will want you to prove the health of the dog.

You also might go to an all-breed show in your area and pick up a show catalog which will list the breeders and exhibitors as well as give you the opportunity to perhaps see some local or nearby owners. These people may be a good place to get a reference. Particularly the Bred by Exhibitor class is a great place to look.. It takes a lot of pride to exhibit against professional handlers.

Here is my Frenchie "Tank" and friends on our Christmas card ;) note the "naughty" sign :) Tank lives in harmony with rabbits, chickens, horses, etc... BUT he is definitely high drive, just not high prey drive... or the way I raised him offset his prey drive, but he is a maniac over toys LOL!!

What a precious picture! I love that and thank you for sharing!
I really don't have a problem with a deposit at all, I just have been getting all sorts of advice and I am trying to do as much research as possible.

I hope that raising him from a pup with my cats, lovebird and chickens will help with that prey drive!

Back
Top Bottom