French Copper Marans

paintedpoultry

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Somerset, England
Hi there - I understand there are not many French Copper Marans in the US. They are relatively new here, but enjoying a surge of popularity. Adam - I will not post a picture of my FCM boy right now because he is recovering from his moult and not looking his best - but there is a piccie of FCM at

http://www.brbpoultry.co.uk/LARGE FOWL.html

I bought my FCM boy from the owner of BRB Rare Breeds - Jacqui - because she is introducing new bloodlines - he was her stock cockerel this season and so the FCM cockerel on her website may be the same one as I have now. I was very lucky to be able to get him - he is from very good bloodlines.

Jacqui's birds are very good - as is her website - enjoy:)

Teresa

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful.

I did not see your Double Gold Laced Barnevelders and it would be fun to see them too.

Barb
wink.png

Adam - what an interesting website the Maran breeder has created - such a lot of information. Must be frustrating having such limited bloodlines but with bird flu now with us in UK again I agree that it is most important - even more so - that any imports are strictly legal.

By the way - the FCM cockerel on Jacqui's website (BRB) is the same one that I have bought from her so I am a lucky person - he should look like that again in the spring with his new plumage.

Best wishes

We are lucky here with Marans. Quite a good diverse pool spread across Canada. The hard part is finding who is breeding them to begin with. Once people get to know you and you are serious all sorts of doors open.

Do you ever see any Columbian Marans? I have had the odd one pop up in breeding one line I have here and am hoping in the future to get it to breed true.

On import from the US there has to be a veterinary certificate verifying health if you are dealing with day olds. A little more work for adult chickens. When they land here they get a visual inspection from a CFIA vet. At last check shipping to the UK was a long drawn out and expensive process. Much like shipping parrots.

I need to get the Columbian traits solid in the Marans. I really don't think I would want to attempt to transfer that characteristic from Maran to Orpington.

Thanks Kstaven for your comments about export/import - it is easy to see why not much of it happens. I think the US controls are more stringent than the UK ones, from what I can gather. As for the Columbian in Orps - I expect someone/somewhere will do this one day! Colours of Orps in the UK seem to be multiplying by the year. Would love to see a photo of your Columbian coloured birds sometime.

Best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom