French frogs

What are you fishing for?

I'm going to a new lake I've never been to before. It has perch, splake, rainbow trout, lake trout, and a few tiger muskies. I'm going to start out targeting perch. I'm in charge of Saturday nights dinner, and I'm hoping the perch will have a staring roll in the fish tacos.

I'm going to a new lake I've never been to before. It has perch, splake, rainbow trout, lake trout, and a few tiger muskies. I'm going to start out targeting perch. I'm in charge of Saturday nights dinner, and I'm hoping the perch will have a staring roll in the fish tacos.
ugh!!!

hope you brought some pan sausage in case the pan fish don't play nice.......

That's quite a mix of fish. Must have some real deep water....mixed with shallow bays. They don't plant tiger muskies in Michigan anymore too expensive and no real interest in catching them. They are a good control fish though. They used then a lot to keep other fish populations in check.

Perch by far though are about the best eating fish on the planet...good luck.
down here, it's crappie.........just a bigger version of perch. that is freshwater

saltwater fishing, it's flounder.

now we do have several other species that are great, but they don't keep well.

sand trout, croaker, and whiting. great table fish, but you can't freeze them, they have to go from bay, to cleaning table, to hot grease.

Bert
Hey no crappie isn't a bigger version of perch. At least not the perch we are talking about. Crappie are good eaters though.
The Yellow perch is a member of the walleye family. A smaller cousin. Crappie are a member of the bass/bluegill family. Different parts of the country call fish different things.
If you ever get a chance to eat walleye or yellow perch, do it. It'll be a treat.

Phil,

down here bluegill and bass, are perch, lol

I'd love to come up that was and fish for walleye, and bug muskie, throwing top waters up on the flats, during their spawn time.

down here, it's crappie.........just a bigger version of perch.  that is freshwater

saltwater fishing, it's flounder.

now we do have several other species that are great, but they don't keep well.

sand trout, croaker, and whiting.  great table fish, but you can't freeze them, they have to go from bay, to cleaning table, to hot grease.
unfortunately I don't have access too much salt water fish. A store up here does run sales once a month. I never know what is what though. There is a fish house on the lake that had fish flown in daily. I should try some of it. But it's so expensive. Heck walleye and perch run $15 a pound as it is. Although the cost of bait makes that not so bad.
People here eat a lot of whitefish and lake trout because they are plentiful and inexpensive. But they are only okay for tablefare. I think if more people tried walleye, perch or bluegill lead people would say they didn't like fish.

Back
Top Bottom