French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Ma puce, [​IMG] oh you poor dominated one, it sucks to be you [​IMG] I will go find an give me hugs elsewhere..... where is WV I need to give her a hug!!! I am getting EGGS in the mail!!!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    there you are!!! I am getting eggs!!!!! and its a surprise!!! oh and goodmorning!! [​IMG][​IMG]

from sarasweatman!! maybe ducks, quail, some orphs and whatever she has that lays!! she is my bud but she lives an hour n half south of me! I hatched GFF Polish I won during a NYD HAL one year and I gifted them to her so maybe she will throw an egg or two in if they are laying too! Dont ask, I love gifting stuff to people! I am excited!!!!!

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I just made a quick trip home to check the birds and the bator, and gather eggs :)

Congrats on the grab bag of eggs. That's exciting!

4. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I can't wait!

5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Question for those of you who brood a lot of chicks...

I will be brooding my hatches for the first week indoors (weekly hatches of 30-50 birds).and then moving them to brooder boxes. I have an unheated shed down by the coops to work with, or I can buy a small plastic shed or a stock tank or OSB boxes to keep under the covered porch.

The goal is to select a few of the best looking prospects in the first couple of days, and sell all the rest before they reach two weeks. This holds for chickens and turkeys. I'm looking for a design that can be opened on mild days, closed when nights drop to freezing temps, and are secure against rodents, possums, skunks and cats. Larger predators have to be out of the equation unless I put the medium security boxes inside the shed.

I'll want to keep each lot separate to prevent bullying or piling, something that's easy to grab chicks out of yet keeps them in, and want a design that I can easily clean. The Rubbermaid deck box I used last year worked great, but I can't buy many of them as they are pricey.

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    what size are you looking for each box walnut?

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    are you in the woods? I pray I can get out next year!!! and Harmony and Luke want to as well. I am taking her and DH is with the boy, that scares me cause DH has no sense of direction I need to put a dog tracker on him first.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    to brood 30 poults or 50 chicks through 2 weeks old, so probably 2' x 3' minimum for chick boxes. For the turkeys I'll be raising for market and breeders, I'll need to build several more along the same lines until they are old enough to go into the unheated, open air coops. Those will be bigger as they will probably house poults to 4 weeks.

Nice photos, Sally, and congrats on the egg grab bag!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by