French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

We're staying at our camp this week, about an hour from our home. I'm about to drive back, so I can hunt this evening. That's cool that your kids want to do it. I hope yall get to take them. Maybe Luke will have better sense of direction :D

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Walnut, have you seen the "Sweeter Heaters"? Sounds like something you could use (or even make something similar)

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I am thinking, it would be nice if you had something not only that cleans well but can stack inside each other as well. when not in use/..... I am trying to find an image of what my farmer friend uses. and I am having a hard time finding it cause I am not sure what to call it..... they are big like meat tubs and I think they would come in bulk.

4. scflock

scflock Crowing

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    My outside brooders are 3x3 and 4x3. 3 sides are wooden, and the front and roof are hardware cloth. I have a couple of screws protruding from the front so I can hang an additional panel On the front to block all 4 sides, then I put a panel on the roof and adjust the open space depending on temperatures. We don't get nearly as cold as you, but I brooded chicks outdoors with lows in the 20s last year

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Crowing

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    That sounds like it would fit the bill, but I would expect to have to close them up every night until June so I'd probably hinge a front panel on.

My back is getting bad, so I'd have to build them at a comfortable working height, which will also help keep them from being too damp or too cold from the ground and would allow me to build storage cabinets underneath. I'd love to keep them along the wall just outside my office, by the egg fridge, to get word out that I have chicks available. Then I could also check on them frequently and they'd be at less risk from predators.

I'd do the tube feeders and nipple waterers for sure in a setup like that. They'll already be started on food and water so it ought to be easier.

I could even build a polyethylene and 2 x 2 greenhouse style frame to box in a corner of the covered porch. Up against a west and north wall of the house, with sheltered southern and eastern exposure, that would probably work well. And I could put my cool weather crop flats out there too!

For heat I'll probably use FlexWatt all along the back wall. It seems it would be the easiest solution. I'll have to test it to see if it provides enough heat.

6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
  7. scflock

scflock Crowing

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  9. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop
    :hit. For those who do not know.....Wicket died over the night. :hit. My only Silkie........my favorite!!! :hit. I will be okay. :(

10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Crowing

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    So sorry to hear about Wicket! [​IMG]

Any signs of the cause?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by