French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I just posted something on Sally's thread that the movie buffs on this thread might appreciate more. Someone said you can't pose chickens, and I replied:
    Here's my splash Ameraucana striking his "Blue Steel" pose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    :lau

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Great looking bird!

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]

6. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    Bert, I'm going to have to try to cook duck like that next.

I've plucked the breasts, and then cut the breast meat off, leaving the skin on one side. Use an oil or bacon grease in a cast iron pan on low, and put the breast skin side down and let it cook with onions for about 20-25 minutes until the fat on the breast has rendered. Then flip it and cook the other side for about 5 minutes. Should be medium-rarish in the center. Next time, I'm going to brine it first.

For my turkey, I roasted the body, and for the thighs and drumstick I made jerky, which turned out really good.

With deer, I try to remove all of it's fat, and then add pork fat. I feel like deer fat has kind of an unpalatable flavor.

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    There's always more to learn, I'm still learning too... :) It's been hard for me to explain the respect relationship to cultivate with a rooster... it's more of something I learned instinctively... give them their boundaries, but respect them to do their job in their own space... it makes for more peace all around... I am proud of you... bantam roos are way more touchy than lf... something about that Napoleon complex... :gig :highfive:
    :lau

8. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    frmboy.......another way to cook them, I didn't suggest to Benny for obvious reasons......

cut the breast meat from the breast, season well, place a slice of pickled jalapeno on the breast, wrap with thick pepperd bacon, and cook over a charcoal fire, that is super hot, only cook until the bacon is done.

should be rare.

holy smokes this is good.

9. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    I've read a similar recipe, with people cooking them in hot cast iron dutch oven. I want to try this one as well.

10. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    better with the smoke, and if you can get you some mesquite chunks........oh lawdy......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by