French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment

Congrats! Must have been hard to let Tate go. You still have some of his chicks?

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    You just might be a redneck, Benny :thumbsup

3. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    About 15 pullets, and the 6 that just hatched. Selling them all. When I do the BCM again, I'm doing much more shopping. I'm getting more interested in breeding, so I need a better start. The AMs showed me what real breeder quality birds can be

4. Brat Flock

Brat Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I am just starting my Black Copper Marans breeding flock. It has been quite an experience, both in $ and BS. Careful research has been the key... That and sitting back and watching the behavior of breeders in FB groups and chats. I have a $200 RUMPLESS BCM from a hatch from one of these breeders but I have gotten some great hatching eggs and chicks as well.

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    You are not keeping some pullets for your leaky blue boy to make OEs/ layers then?

So many possibilities. Those beautiful AMs get you spoiled quick, huh.

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I got all excited over a local breeders dark eggs and bought my first flock. Then I joined BYC, posted pictures on the BCM thread, and got a rude awakening to what I was dealing with. Way too many faults to breed out, and after I got Ameraucanas from Paul Smith I learned how much easier it is to pay a little more for a better foundation

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Probably not, just depends on how quickly they sell. I think I'm going to use the leaky blue to replace my EE rooster so I can improve egg color in those chicks. I want to guarantee the blue/green eggs

8. Brat Flock

Jul 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Ameraucanas are great. I had a REALLY hard time finding purebred stock. I have 10 in the bator in day 20 today ;) I have a couple Isbars and Rumpless Araucanas too, I LOVE fancy colored eggs. I am gonna take the rumpless BCM Roo and put in a pen on frizzled, naked necks and work on some fun Olive Eggers!

9. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    From now on, if I add a flock, I'm buying chicks from a reputable breeder. I don't want to gamble with shipped eggs, and I got my chicks from Paul, shipping included, for $10 each. You can't beat that for the quality I ended up with. I bought 15 straight run, and the 2 extras lived. Now I have 3 good roosters and 8 good hens for $150 :thumbsup

10. Brat Flock

Jul 16, 2015
    Indiana

Very good deal! I will have to keep that in mind. Hatching eggs have half driven me crazy but I am done on New Years.... Unless of course I win some or until I get the shipment of Cuckoo Araucana eggs that I am on a list for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by