fresh egg storage

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kd_colorado, Oct 15, 2011.

1. kd_colorado

kd_colorado New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Hello
    I am not sure where to post my question in reagrds to storing eggs. How long will non-fertilized eggs last refrigerated?
    I have 6 New Hamp Barred, 5 Cinnamon Queens and 5 Rhode Island Reds. They were 5 months old Oct. 10th and have been laying eggs for almost 6 weeks now. They started out very tiny (lol) and now some are more than 3 inches long and well just HUGE!
    I was told that chickens will lay approximately 1 eggs every other day. Well not my chicks. I am getting 9 to 11 per day and today there were 19 waiting for me. 19 eggs LOl i have 16 chicks. I am giving away eggs every 4 days and so I am wondering how long eggs will last in the refirgerator? I currently have 5 dozen in mine. I label the cartons so I know which ones to use first but i cannot give them away fast enough.

Swimming in eggs! [​IMG]

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Are you washing the eggs?
    From what I have read, you don't
    even have to refrigerate.[​IMG]

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not possible to get more than one egg a day per chicken. Are you sure you aren't missing some or they aren't laying after your last check for the day?

I have read that if you wash your eggs right away, they won't last as long.

4. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    I can't remember if someone wrote this here or where I found it, but I saved it:

"How long will fresh farm eggs last?
    I was given farm eggs and I am not really sure how long they will last in the fridge before they turn bad. Fresh shell eggs can be kept refrigerated in their carton for at least 4 - 5 weeks beyond the pack date. Quality losses should be insignificant if the eggs are refrigerated as soon as possible after purchase from a refrigerated case. Hard cooked eggs should be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week. This is valid for farm or store-bought eggs, the reason is that the eggs must be cleaned, and by doing this the natural protective coating has been removed, and once this is done the egg must be consumed within a month or so to avoid spoilage"

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Eggs from the grocery store
    are at least 2 weeks old before
    you get them

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I was wondering the same thing

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My good layers lay every day, with an occasional day off.

Mother Earth News compared different egg storage methods. Clean eggs with the bloom on, that were refrigerated promptly, lasted up to 6 months. They're always the best tasting and have the best texture as fresh as possible, but store quite well.

You can sell some, give some away, prepare dishes that use more eggs, feed some to your dog if you have one or just feed some cooked eggs back to your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Takes a chicken about 25-30 hours to make an egg. Not unheard of to get >200 eggs from a hen every year. Seems they often slow down in the winter months.

I've always read that they keep at least a month in the fridge.

You know the glass of water test...right? They say a fresh egg will sink in water (something about air pockets developing inside the eggs over time, which makes em float and/or sink slower).

Farmers have 30 days from the day an egg is laid to get it to stores. Then, the stores have another 30 days to sell the eggs. The USDA recommends a maximum of 5 weeks in your refrigerator before you discard your eggs. What does this all boil down to? On April 1, you could be eating an egg that was laid on Christmas.

Many eggs in the U.S. get to market within a few days of laying. If there is a USDA shield on the carton, it must have at least a Julian pack date. A use-by is not required, but if used, it must not be more than 45 days from packing. If the eggs are not distributed interstate, state laws will apply and are variable.

Keep in mind that farmers generally get their eggs to stores within a week, and both the "pack date" and "sell by" date are stamped onto the carton. The numbers run from 1-365, depending on the day of the year. Lastly, there is a big difference in taste between farm fresh eggs and week-old eggs. If you want the freshest eggs, you can buy from a local farmer.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_will_fresh_chicken_eggs_keep_in_the_refrigerator#ixzz1ayCDiSGN

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by