1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Fresh eggs dont pass the float test

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kernel Cluck, May 16, 2018.

1. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Songster 6 Years

Every once in a while we get a “fresh” egg from our flock that wont pass the float test. We started testing because i had one several months ago that was clearly bad when i went to fry it. This only happens periodically. We had three today and the last time was over a m9nth ago. Any ideas what is going on?

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing 5 Years

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Do your hens lay in nesting boxes only or do they manage to hide some away somewhere? As far as I know, as long as you harvest eggs daily or so, you should not have a problem with freshness. I know this is probably less than helpful but it's all I can come up with.:confused:

3. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Songster 6 Years

We do occasionally find eggs not laid in the boxes. They usually aren’t more than a few days old. I was wondering that perhaps those are getting contaminated somehow. Or maybe it’s because I collect eggs every other day instead of daily.

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing 5 Years

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    If the eggs are fresh, contamination that would cause them to rot would be highly unlikely. They are really well protected by the bloom on the shells courtesy of Mother Nature and a well designed hen! If the eggs are old, all bets are off! Are the rest of your eggs good when you crack them open? No signs of stress on the hens, soft shells, porous weak shells, lots of blood or meat spots near the yolk?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: