Fresh eggs smell rotten

Hi, I am in Australia. I have been searching on the internet for an answer to this problem. For the last 3 weeks all my fresh eggs have had very stinky egg shells. The eggs are not rotten. We can eat the eggs but the egg white is tainted with the smell or taste. We obviously don't enjoy them. It started about the same time as I started fertilizing the garden so this could be related? There is a jasmine creeper that is growing on the chicken coupe and it started flowering at about the same time. Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?

Joining this thread a few years late.

We have two hens about 6 months old. They began laying 3 weeks ago. Five days ago one of them started laying smelly eggs. I can smell it when I crack the shell. It's not particularly strong, but I can definitely smell it. It's got what smells like a sulphur edge to it...but. I have been eating them poached, on toast. I have, so far, suffered no ill effects, but then I don't get sick easily.

It isn't hot here now. It's late winter in Auckland. Nights around 8C and the days not above 18C. "Winter" here only last about 6 weeks anyway.....and the nights may be close to zero and the days around 15C for a month or so. Even in the summer it rarely goes above 30C. It's a very comfortable, moderate climate through almost all of the year.

I'd love to know what the smelly egg thing is and what causes it...and how to stop it, if possible.

We have only been getting eggs for about ten days and they look fine but smell when cracked open. We get one egg about every other day so far, guessing its the same hen that is doing the laying. We have a total of eight but one is a lot bigger than the others. It doesn't smell rotten exactly and they look OK. It isn't hot here now so it isn't that. Tried the water thing and they sink. Any and all suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks.

WOO!!! an egg like that would make me think the hen may have some type of infection inside the egg laying department. Maybe salmonellae. Or peritonitus. I would definitely find out which hen it is and isolate her for sure. Gloria jean

Hummm you do know that a chicken with salmonellae may not show any symptoms at all. Of course, it could have been a plant she could have gotten into for awhile and its gone or some other type of feed. I'm glad for you and your hens that it stopped. Gloria Jean

We are having the same problem it seems like. We are going on 2 years of having chickens and just realized that as well. We have increased our amount of chickens like almost 3 times in the last month. Started noticing the problem after the increase. Wonder if they are eating too much of their own poop. We are feeding them the same feed. We have also had a great deal of rain and the chicken yard has been muddy for weeks. I need to clean out the house, but wonder if that is the problem. Maybe over crowding and eating mud dung.

Back
Top Bottom