Fresh fertile eggs for hatching to ship Mon, 2/11 from SC

Hey Lisa
Any advice for a novice on shipping eggs as far as packing and everything else is concerned? Never done it before so any help is really appreciated.

Bantyman, I just added some new pics to this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30746

As far as 'pre-shipping' goes:
~Collect eggs for hatching promptly after they are layed.
~Ship the freshest eggs you have available. I like the person on the receiving end to get eggs that are 7 / 8 days old. That gives them a chance to rest the eggs and allows for the possibility that the PO might 'misplace' them.
If you are going to send older eggs, you should say so.
~Candle the eggs before wrapping to check for hairline cracks and possible flaws in the shell that could make them 'non-viable' (a tiny flaw in the shell could be magnified a thousand times by the shipping process).
That's all I can think of right now
smile.png

Good luck with your shipping
smile.png

Oh, what have you got? I might want some
smile.png

Lisa

dipsy, i candled my eggs the other day, tossed 3 of the 24 *happy dance* most of the rest looked like happy little swimmers in there....... counting down!!!

chickhamm
Theressa
Creatively Woven Baskets
GA

Hey Lisa
Thanx for the info. Your thread was really hepful. Hope I can have the same results you do. Gonna give it a try here in the next couple of weeks. I have Salmon Faverolle standard and bantams, blue/red rosecombs,bbr rosecombs,bbr oe and a trio of silkies. Oh yeah and some Seramas in the brooder and some in the bator with some more coming in March.And a Doberman that is expecting on the 27th of Feb. My days are pretty well fillled up till I leave for work. Its the only place I get some rest. But you gotta love it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom