Fresh pineapple trimmings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jbellairs, Dec 2, 2016.

1. jbellairs

jbellairs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2015
    Are fresh pineapple trimmings all right to give to my chickens? I couldn't find in on the good and bad treat lists.

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Your question made me curious so I did some searches to see what I could find. I couldn't find anything against it but did find that quite a few chicken keepers do feed them to their birds.

I've always heard you shouldn't feed citrus to chickens but pineapple belong to a different plant family (Bromeliaceae). Citrus belong to the Rutaceae family.

Hope that helps.

3. Phaedre

Phaedre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. jbellairs

Jul 5, 2015
    I will take them out to them in the morning with the rest of the compost. I waited to see if I got any negative replies.

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Let me know how they like it, I'm curious!

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't see this thread earlier, or I would have replied sooner...my chickens (and ducks) love fresh pineapple trimmings - rind, core, etc. I just put all the scraps into a bucket and toss it out to them. They pretty much leave just the inedible skins. The ducks like to try to soak the pieces in their pools. [​IMG]

How did yours react?

7. jbellairs

Jul 5, 2015
    Suspicious! I checked the next day and the top looked untouched. My girls have almost an acre pen to roam in, so they already have plenty to pick at.

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess they're like people, with their own preferences. I used to save the rinds to make pineapple scrap vinegar, but the odd odor was a turn-off, so it's fortunate that my chickens and ducks enjoy the scraps. The ducks really get in there and twist the flesh off the rind. :eek:

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mine don't really seem to like pineapple. The bunnies, on the other hand, adore it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by