Fresh pineapple trimmings

jbellairs

Chirping
Jul 5, 2015
Are fresh pineapple trimmings all right to give to my chickens? I couldn't find in on the good and bad treat lists.

Your question made me curious so I did some searches to see what I could find. I couldn't find anything against it but did find that quite a few chicken keepers do feed them to their birds.

I've always heard you shouldn't feed citrus to chickens but pineapple belong to a different plant family (Bromeliaceae). Citrus belong to the Rutaceae family.

Hope that helps.

welcome-byc.gif
D.gif

I will take them out to them in the morning with the rest of the compost. I waited to see if I got any negative replies.

I didn't see this thread earlier, or I would have replied sooner...my chickens (and ducks) love fresh pineapple trimmings - rind, core, etc. I just put all the scraps into a bucket and toss it out to them. They pretty much leave just the inedible skins. The ducks like to try to soak the pieces in their pools.
1f606.png

How did yours react?

Suspicious! I checked the next day and the top looked untouched. My girls have almost an acre pen to roam in, so they already have plenty to pick at.

Suspicious! I checked the next day and the top looked untouched. My girls have almost an acre pen to roam in, so they already have plenty to pick at.
Guess they're like people, with their own preferences. I used to save the rinds to make pineapple scrap vinegar, but the odd odor was a turn-off, so it's fortunate that my chickens and ducks enjoy the scraps. The ducks really get in there and twist the flesh off the rind. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom