1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fresh Topsoil For Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FeatherDuster, Apr 12, 2007.

1. FeatherDuster

FeatherDuster New Egg

Apr 12, 2007
    Should I mix in sand to the new layer of topsoil I added to the run? I also packed in 3/4 round gravel around the fencline to help close up any small holes. Would it be worthwhile to seed the area with grass or any type of plant? I could keep the chickens off for awhile as they also free range.

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your run is fine like it is.just be ready for the hens to digg holes dustbathing.that is their fav hobby.if they get to meny holes you might want to fill them in with sand.

3. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    About the sand, is it okay to use childrens playground sand for the chicken to dustbath in? I also read somewhere that you could use wood ash, do you know anyone who uses it? If you make a separate box and fill it with sand will that keep them bathing in one area and not dig holes?

4. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Mother to answer some of your question. Yes wood ash is good to use also childerns play sand will be fine and a seperate box is OK also but that wont keep them from digging. Just like dogs the birds are digging to get to cooler ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by