Freshly hatched chick was taken from nest - severely chilled! HELP!

LavenderCrow

Songster
7 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Tennessee
I have a freshly hatched chick that I found outside of the closed coop this morning. I strongly suspect it was a rat who decided that the meal was too big for it. It was covered in ants when I found it. It is peeping very loudly and it isn't moving much. I have it in a "double-boiler" for lack of a better term - a tupperware cup with some shavings and the chick placed inside a slightly larger cup with hot water to raise its temp. I have sugar water on hand. What else could I be doing to help it? Is there something better that I should be doing? This is my first chick from my lavender orpingtons, and only the second ever hatched on my farm :(

She's sitting on the other eggs right now. I tried giving it back to her but it's her first time hatching and I don't know if she knows what to do with it. She just kind of looked at it then back at me like "Yeah, and what am I supposed to do?"

Then the best you can do is what you're already doing, keep her warm. Mama will sit on her eggs for 2 or 3 days after the first one is hatched and then she'll get them all out of the nest and show them how to eat. Tonight when it gets dark, see if you can't sneak the chick under her wing. Congrats on the hatch!

Alright. It seems to be doing OK right now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It does have a wound on the side of its head around its eye were I assume the rat bit it. I cleaned it and sprayed it with Vetericyn, so I'm hoping it heals fine but if it doesn't it will probably go blind in that eye.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with getting what I need together for college. The chick died. :( On a positive note, though, two of its siblings hatched today!

Back
Top Bottom