Freshly hatched gosling in incubator

I have chickens too so exactly what your saying maybe since the goslings would be inside the fencing and your adults on the outside the chickens wouldn’t even try. Please let us know how it goes and if you find a friend for LP
I took LP outside to see his papa, mama, and uncles. Papa was very curious, mama was so so, one uncle had a fit and the other uncle did not know what to do. Funny.

They are a hoot for sure. As long as my goose was on her nest after she lost her gosling it took her a week of us walking by every day before she got up and came outside to see the goslings. Once she came outside then we had a parade I got to lead then the goslings them mama and papa until that 3rd week then it was Mama and papa and goslings with me bringing up the rear. That evening when I put mama and papa to bed and placed the goslings in with them and saw them go and cuddle right next to mama I knew all was well.

They are a hoot for sure. As long as my goose was on her nest after she lost her gosling it took her a week of us walking by every day before she got up and came outside to see the goslings. Once she came outside then we had a parade I got to lead then the goslings them mama and papa until that 3rd week then it was Mama and papa and goslings with me bringing up the rear. That evening when I put mama and papa to bed and placed the goslings in with them and saw them go and cuddle right next to mama I knew all was well.
I took out most of the eggs and we put some of the newest ones in the incubator. Stopped by the local farm store and found a friend for LP. It is a bit larger, probably a couple of days older, and an African Goose. Only had two choices, the other was a Chinese Goose which in retrospect I probably should have gotten. But this little one just ran up to me when I put my hand in the tank. It has not stopped chirping. I am sure he is confused.

LP has been constantly grooming the African and sometimes tugging on its feathers. LP has been following the other one and is now drinking water and considering what to do with the food. At the moment I just ground up in a coffee grinder, the adult Goose & Duck food. May go to the Chick food when I get a chance.

Cute story. I hope I can introduce these two to LPs parents in a couple few weeks.

I took out most of the eggs and we put some of the newest ones in the incubator. Stopped by the local farm store and found a friend for LP. It is a bit larger, probably a couple of days older, and an African Goose. Only had two choices, the other was a Chinese Goose which in retrospect I probably should have gotten. But this little one just ran up to me when I put my hand in the tank. It has not stopped chirping. I am sure he is confused.

LP has been constantly grooming the African and sometimes tugging on its feathers. LP has been following the other one and is now drinking water and considering what to do with the food. At the moment I just ground up in a coffee grinder, the adult Goose & Duck food. May go to the Chick food when I get a chance.

Cute story. I hope I can introduce these two to LPs parents in a couple few weeks.
Forgot the photo

Attachments

• Fast Friends.jpg
    Fast Friends.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 2
Yes, I took them outside in a little fenced in area while I gardened. They loved it! The gander hissed at them, the female seemed mildly curious, but the uncles were both very interested. One in particular which is the most docile and has kind of separated himself from the group, keeping his distance most of the time.

I went to get some Flock Feeder for them as all I had was adult goose food and ended up with 4 Buff Orphingtons, the last in the stock tand at the farm store. So now they have neighbors as well in the bin next to them.

Husband was a bit puzzled why we needed more chicks!

Just because! That should have been your answer lol

If mama didn't have eggs she'd probably be more interested. Setting them up close to them though will help a lot in getting them into the gaggle when time comes.

Just because! That should have been your answer lol

If mama didn't have eggs she'd probably be more interested. Setting them up close to them though will help a lot in getting them into the gaggle when time comes.
Yes, I hope so. I was going to toss all of her eggs, but will wait until the little ones are a bit bigger. They are eating finely chopped up Romaine and getting used to splashing in the water.

We do not have great grass here, mostly salt grass. Even the adults do not care for it much. So I supplement with cabbage, napa cabbage, romaine lettuce scraps. I have been told they should not eat tomatoes, but the adults do like the few scraps that I give to the chickens.

I was wondering about the two "uncles" beaks. The are scaly. They have marks from fighting as does the mated gander, but he does not have the scaling. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220331_155729.jpg
    20220331_155729.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220331_155735.jpg
    20220331_155735.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7394.JPG
    IMG_7394.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 2
I have seen others post about this and I think it's pretty common happens with ducks too. I haven't ever seen either of my geese have this though.

Since your giving your goslings lettuce etc it would be good to offer chick grit in a small bowl close to their feed. they will use it as needed but when feeding anything other than starter they need to have grit.

I have seen others post about this and I think it's pretty common happens with ducks too. I haven't ever seen either of my geese have this though.

Since your giving your goslings lettuce etc it would be good to offer chick grit in a small bowl close to their feed. they will use it as needed but when feeding anything other than starter they need to have grit.
Thanks, good idea.

Back
Top Bottom