Freshly hatched gosling in incubator

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
Only one of the two goose eggs I had in my incubator hatched. It had a hard time getting through the membrane so I did help it a bit. It has been shaking as if it is cold. I had the temp. at 99.5 and raised it to 100.5. It is only about an hour old, chirping and trying to stand up. It is in in a Brinsea incubator that I use for my chickens. I think it may be too low for it to fully stand. I have a brooder ready and heated for it.

This is my first try at incubating a goose egg. Is the shaking typical? Can I move it out of the incubator before it is fully fluffed up? Thanks

I have some chicks that are about one month old. Is there too much of an age gap to eventually place the goose in with the chicks?

Only one of the two goose eggs I had in my incubator hatched. It had a hard time getting through the membrane so I did help it a bit. It has been shaking as if it is cold. I had the temp. at 99.5 and raised it to 100.5. It is only about an hour old, chirping and trying to stand up. It is in in a Brinsea incubator that I use for my chickens. I think it may be too low for it to fully stand. I have a brooder ready and heated for it.

This is my first try at incubating a goose egg. Is the shaking typical? Can I move it out of the incubator before it is fully fluffed up? Thanks
It takes a while for them to be able to stand and chirp. Keep it warm and comfy while it dries and learns to stand. When it stands up it will try to get out, so keep it safe from escaping/falling - the brooder should be ok - do you have a mom for it? or is that you? I wouldn't put it with the chickens (I don't actually have any experience, just guessing) because chickens can be wicked pecky.

It takes a while for them to be able to stand and chirp. Keep it warm and comfy while it dries and learns to stand. When it stands up it will try to get out, so keep it safe from escaping/falling - the brooder should be ok - do you have a mom for it? or is that you? I wouldn't put it with the chickens (I don't actually have any experience, just guessing) because chickens can be wicked pecky.
I would not put newly hatched gosling in with month old chicks. Also 100* is way to warm get the temp down around 90 waterfowl don’t need as high of heat as chicks.
Mom has been laying eggs since Feb. 1st. I took 4 out Feb. 25th for incubating. This is the only one that hatched.

I took 4 more out on March 20th leaving 16 in the nest.

I took another 2 out a few days ago. Last time I checked she had about 16 again. She sits, but does not stay long. I have separated the mated pair from the other two male geese, but they hang around outside the fenced off coop like nervous uncles.

Goose eggs I have read, are viable for 10 days. Obviously most of the eggs are older than that. The 3 that did not hatch were some of the first eggs, the one that did hatch was fairly new when I put them all in the incubator.

I do not plan to put the new goose in with the chicks right away, but would like to start trying in a few weeks.

The gosling seems to be drying off quickly, and it is actively chirping away. I will think about when to move him as the afternoon continues.

Thanks for you advice. Cara

One month old chicks could really do some serious damage to a gosling.
What breed are we talking about.
great to hear the little one is doing good.
Why would you not place the gosling in with the parents? They make wonderful parents? i don't mean right away but once it gets up on hit's legs good and is eating good

Well, I am hoping that she will sit on her nest and hatch the eggs she has now. Is is possible to put the gosling in with the parents while she will has eggs in the nest?

It is an Embden. Or it might be an Embden (male), Roman (untufted) cross. I bought the four geese as a mixed group, mistake in hindsight, from Metzer Farms. They are all white except the female has on occasional black feather. One male if definitely a Sebastopol. The fourth male could be a Pilgrim or an Embden. I so not know much about geese yet. The potential Pilgrim is the most docile and follows me everywhere. Never has charged or bitten me even though he hisses. Never has charged at me with his head down.

More than likely she wouldn't get up to care for the gosling if she still has eggs under her.
She has 16 eggs yet to hatch? are you keeping them all?
I introduced 2 -1day old goslings to my pair after my female lost her only gosling out of her hatch that started hatching. I bought them as day olds but waited until she was over mourning yes I believe she mourned I could hear the gosling inside the egg and she did too. took her a week to come outside and look at the 2 goslings then I kept them inside with me for 2 more weeks bringing them out daily to spend time with the geese and other flock members. I was worried about my gander stepping on them since he never paid attention to where he was walking. But she finally took over being a mama goose and it worked perfectly. All your geese will help to raise the gosling and any others that hatch. They are wonderful at working together to protect and raise the babies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom