Emergency, botulism? Gosling suddenly went limp can't hold up the head!

gosling21

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
I left my resque gosling with a friend from Tuesday to Sunday (friend sent videos that gosling was ok), I came home with food and medicine for gosling. Gosling came out of cage very wobbly and fell in front of me with screams, after that he was unable to stand up, by evening he couldn't lift up head.

His cage was cleaned, but clearly not well in my absence, as there were flies and I found maggots. After disinfecting everything, i tried to put gosling back, he could stand for a second and then fell.

He had apetite. He drinks, he stands for startling 1 second in burst of energy then falls.
Is it vitamin E deficit taking effect or botulism? He almost chocked today on his own food and was about to pass out, I had to manually pull food out of his throat with massaging it up back to mouth

(I gave food with every possible additions, but only today..I had no access to it before. I also gave vitamin E 300IU)
I have a dog, should i be aware of contaminations, what else can i do?

20231016_204545.jpg

photo right now. water is changed and brown from brewers yeast

20231016_115613.jpg

Food I brought him yesterday with everything, he ate but am not sure if it will make any difference.
I even have a splayed legs support.. but i don't think i can put it on him in this state.

Botulism could be a possibility but there‘s a strong chance it’s a vitamin B deficiency.
So what you need to do is find some liquid B complex, I’m not sure what country you’re in but if you have a tractor supply nearby they usually carry durvet B complex, though any brand will do just as long as it has B2, B3, B6, and B12.

The liquid B vitamins can be mixed with his water, you can also get a 3ml or 6 ml syringe and give him a direct oral dose, but goslings are a bit trickier to do that with because of their size, so it’s probably better to mix it in with the water. I would get a syringe anyway just in case you can’t get him to drink the water.

What kind of feed is that?

Have you noticed any unusual colors in the droppings? Black, red, pink, orange, bright yellow, or bright grass green?

Botulism could be a possibility but there‘s a strong chance it’s a vitamin B deficiency.
So what you need to do is find some liquid B complex, I’m not sure what country you’re in but if you have a tractor supply nearby they usually carry durvet B complex, though any brand will do just as long as it has B2, B3, B6, and B12.

The liquid B vitamins can be mixed with his water, you can also get a 3ml or 6 ml syringe and give him a direct oral dose, but goslings are a bit trickier to do that with because of their size, so it’s probably better to mix it in with the water. I would get a syringe anyway just in case you can’t get him to drink the water.

What kind of feed is that?

Have you noticed any unusual colors in the droppings? Black, red, pink, orange, bright yellow, or bright grass green?
Oh hey! it's still me from:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/starved-gosling-is-growing-but-paws-are-bowing.1600962/

His poop is green with grain in it and bit watery. It used to be solid/brown before i left, now it's only green even if he didn't eat salad in 24h.

Before I left, I gave a lot of vitamin D3 and now when i returned he has visible feathers pushing through, the brewers yeast at high quantity or well instructed a friend to add it and vitaming E for humans in liquid form, I went outside my region to pick up upgraded feed with all the stuff the forum suggested all vitamins and other additions etc, it has also B3 in feed now, but I arrived only yesterday and am at loss if am too late or it's something else.

It's just when my friend sent videos before i arrived he was active and screaming, now I arrived he just flopped down and very actively loosing strength. Now he is laying on one side breathing heavy.

Oh hey! it's still me from:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/starved-gosling-is-growing-but-paws-are-bowing.1600962/

His poop is green with grain in it and bit watery. It used to be solid/brown before i left, now it's only green even if he didn't eat salad in 24h.

Before I left, I gave a lot of vitamin D3 and now when i returned he has visible feathers pushing through, the brewers yeast at high quantity or well instructed a friend to add it and vitaming E for humans in liquid form, I went outside my region to pick up upgraded feed with all the stuff the forum suggested all vitamins and other additions etc, it has also B3 in feed now, but I arrived only yesterday and am at loss if am too late or it's something else.

It's just when my friend sent videos before i arrived he was active and screaming, now I arrived he just flopped down and very actively loosing strength. Now he is laying on one side breathing heavy.
Alright, sorry about that, I didn’t realize it was you.

The heavy breathing could be a result of botulism, botulism usually comes from eating rancid food, compost heaps, or dirty standing water.

Heavy breathing also is commonly from a respiratory tract infection, the inability to stand might be because he’s very weak from being sick. His condition and vitamin deficiency issue means he has a weak immune system and predisposes him to getting sick much easier.

If that’s the case he would need antibiotics if it’s a bacterial infection.

Another possibility is it unfortunately could be his heart. With severe malnutrition that he underwent prior to you taking him into your care caused a lot of his issues, and it isn’t uncommon for it also to damage their heart.
I don’t know if you have a stethoscope to listen to his heart but a normal heartbeat in a bird sounds like a human heartbeat but more rapid, it has a two beat rhythm. “ONE TWO ONE TWO ONE TWO” An abnormal heartbeat will sound like it has a whooshing sound or an abnormal rhythm it can sound like “ONE TWO three, ONE TWO three, ONE TWO three.”

Considering the cage want cleaned while you were away there may not be a way to guarantee that he was fed appropriately while you were gone so the issue might be that his condition has relapsed and you need to get him back on his vitamins again.

The heavy breathing could be a result of botulism, botulism usually comes from eating rancid food, compost heaps, or dirty standing water.

Heavy breathing also is commonly from a respiratory tract infection, the inability to stand might be because he’s very weak from being sick. His condition and vitamin deficiency issue means he has a weak immune system and predisposes him to getting sick much easier.

If that’s the case he would need antibiotics if it’s a bacterial infection.

Another possibility is it unfortunately could be his heart. With severe malnutrition that he underwent prior to you taking him into your care caused a lot of his issues, and it isn’t uncommon for it also to damage their heart.
I don’t know if you have a stethoscope to listen to his heart but a normal heartbeat in a bird sounds like a human heartbeat but more rapid, it has a two beat rhythm. “ONE TWO ONE TWO ONE TWO” An abnormal heartbeat will sound like it has a whooshing sound or an abnormal rhythm it can sound like “ONE TWO three, ONE TWO three, ONE TWO three.”

Considering the cage want cleaned while you were away there may not be a way to guarantee that he was fed appropriately while you were gone so the issue might be that his condition has relapsed and you need to get him back on his vitamins again.
I will check his heartbeat tomorrow then. He had hot legs and hot beak (joints seemed bit expanded, or maybe it's normal for geese), I assume fever and infection in eye got worse again. My thoughts went to botulism because of the maggots in the cage and yes I can't know for sure now if his water and food dish was cleaned properly.

I washed him twice to be sure no worm was on him.

I brought with me this time clarithromycin antibiotics for people, 5 pills of 500mg so I have it available.

I know for sure my dog stole some grain (saw my dog poo with grain) and dog is fine, so as far as food goes seems it was ok.

And now i have a very good feed with everything, just not sure if it will help at this point.

He right now has no strength to chew on the salad. He screams and has burst of energy of strugle if I try to pick him up, as if he wants to be left in his corner, but then goes completely limp as if he used all his strength.

If he makes it through the night, do i need to force feed him if he will not regain strenght to eat?

I will check his heartbeat tomorrow then. He had hot legs and hot beak (joints seemed bit expanded, or maybe it's normal for geese), I assume fever and infection in eye got worse again. My thoughts went to botulism because of the maggots in the cage and yes I can't know for sure now if his water and food dish was cleaned properly.

I washed him twice to be sure no worm was on him.

I brought with me this time clarithromycin antibiotics for people, 5 pills of 500mg so I have it available.

I know for sure my dog stole some grain (saw my dog poo with grain) and dog is fine, so as far as food goes seems it was ok.

And now i have a very good feed with everything, just not sure if it will help at this point.

He right now has no strength to chew on the salad. He screams and has burst of energy of strugle if I try to pick him up, as if he wants to be left in his corner, but then goes completely limp as if he used all his strength.

If he makes it through the night, do i need to force feed him if he will not regain strenght to eat?
If he isn’t eating he will need to be tube fed, if his legs and joints seem hot that sounds like he has a fever, he probably has come down with some sickness.

Have you tube fed him before?

If he isn’t eating he will need to be tube fed, if his legs and joints seem hot that sounds like he has a fever, he probably has come down with some sickness.

Have you tube fed him before?
Woke up. I don't hear heart well because it's very fast. But sounded Ta Dum Ta Dum, didn't hear third beat. I try better later again.
He tried to move and stood a bit, but is very drowsy, today he was unable to eat grain even if he tried. I never tube fed in my life. Today beak and paws are not hot but body kinda is.

Back
Top Bottom