Starved Gosling is growing, but paws are bowing.

gosling21

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
So I wrote here already in past.

My update on gosling is that he gained 3x his weight and I feel the feathers are trying to push through already, some baby ploom already flying around. Diarrhea is gone, the eye is getting better and no more claws falling out. And he seemingly grew. Respiratory issues also dissappeared. In general he is eating a lot now.

But with his rapid weight gain the legs bowed now and are shaking a lot, I see it must be the niacin defficit and lack of place to walk maybe, I give him pure brewers yeast and other supplement I was given, I think some additional vitamins. it's in dry form and I add it in the grain. The water he very often splashes out so I didn't get the liquid B3. But paws are still bowing. Am I wrong with dosages maybe?

On pack it was advertised as all Vitamin B for cats, dogs and horses. 2g for a cat in a day, so I just went with that, closest to his size. Should I raise the recommended dose? Or better swap the brand? Can I overdose the gosling by adding too much?

I wasn't paying much attention on the worsening of paws since I was more worried if he would survive the next days due to other issues.

can you get this kind of liquid b complex ( amazon sells it) and give 1 ml per day or twice a day to start ( how much does he weigh now? it’s 1 ml for an approximately 5 lb duck)
you can soak some meal worms or other treats in it make sure he eats it all.
it says injectable but we give it orally to ducks and geese.

also if you can get nutritional yeast, add 1 tablespoon in every 1 cup of feed.

also, I am so happy to hear that your gosling is doing well as far as eating and growing that’s fabulous news!

Attachments

• 1D313264-B9F2-485B-BC45-B8779B2AD173.jpeg
    1D313264-B9F2-485B-BC45-B8779B2AD173.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 4
So I wrote here already in past.

My update on gosling is that he gained 3x his weight and I feel the feathers are trying to push through already, some baby ploom already flying around. Diarrhea is gone, the eye is getting better and no more claws falling out. And he seemingly grew. Respiratory issues also dissappeared. In general he is eating a lot now.

But with his rapid weight gain the legs bowed now and are shaking a lot, I see it must be the niacin defficit and lack of place to walk maybe, I give him pure brewers yeast and other supplement I was given, I think some additional vitamins. it's in dry form and I add it in the grain. The water he very often splashes out so I didn't get the liquid B3. But paws are still bowing. Am I wrong with dosages maybe?

On pack it was advertised as all Vitamin B for cats, dogs and horses. 2g for a cat in a day, so I just went with that, closest to his size. Should I raise the recommended dose? Or better swap the brand? Can I overdose the gosling by adding too much?

I wasn't paying much attention on the worsening of paws since I was more worried if he would survive the next days due to other issues.
B vitamins and vitamin C are water soluble so there’s very little risk in overdosing, and even if it does happen the result is temporary nausea and a somewhat elevated body temperature until the excess is dispersed in droppings, there really aren’t long term negative results.

Try giving a dog’s dosage
Bird metabolism and kidney function work faster than mammals so in most cases a higher dose of vitamins are needed than what they are in most mammals of equivalent weight.
Cats have poor kidney function compared to most mammals so they take a far lower dosage of vitamins and medications for their weight compared to other mammals.

can you get this kind of liquid b complex ( amazon sells it) and give 1 ml per day or twice a day to start ( how much does he weigh now? it’s 1 ml for an approximately 5 lb duck)

also, I am so happy to hear that your gosling is doing well as far as eating and growing that’s fabulous news!
The nutritional yeast is only for humans, not animals, for what i saw, I live in Italy so I seeked something close to what you showed. Will this do?:

bhbjk.JPG

Vitamin-B-Vital by My Hens is an effective liquid food supplement to support the nervous system and metabolism.

- Contains all the most important B vitamins
- Specifically adapted to the needs of poultry / chickens / quails
- One bottle is sufficient for 50 liters of drinking water.
- Easy and precise dosing, thanks to the measuring bottle

VITAMIN B-VITAL by MeineHennen
Vitamin B Vital from MeineHennen is a vitamin B complex specially adapted to the needs of chickens and quails. Contains all the important B vitamins that birds need. Thanks to the dosing bottle, Vitamin-B-Vital can be easily dosed exactly in milliliters.

Feeding recommendations:
5 ml in 1 liter of drinking water, administered for a maximum of 5 consecutive days. Shake before using. Use only as directed.

Composition:
Magnesium chloride and sodium chloride

Additives (per body weight)
Vitamins:
Vitamin B1 (3a820) 9,800 mg
Niacinamide (3a315) 10,000 mg
Vitamin B5 4,900 mg
(calcium D-pantothenate, 3a841)
Vitamin B6 (3a831) 3,920 mg
Vitamin B12 15,000 mcg
(cyanocobalamin)

B vitamins and vitamin C are water soluble so there’s very little risk in overdosing, and even if it does happen the result is temporary nausea and a somewhat elevated body temperature until the excess is dispersed in droppings, there really aren’t long term negative results.

Try giving a dog’s dosage
Bird metabolism and kidney function work faster than mammals so in most cases a higher dose of vitamins are needed than what they are in most mammals of equivalent weight.
Cats have poor kidney function compared to most mammals so they take a far lower dosage of vitamins and medications for their weight compared to other mammals.
Oh then I was really giving too little. I was giving less than a cat, now I gave higher dose, hope it works out.

In your opinion something like this could work too?

bhbjk.JPG

Vitamin-B-Vital by My Hens is an effective liquid food supplement to support the nervous system and metabolism.

Vitamin B Vital from MeineHennen is a vitamin B complex specially adapted to the needs of chickens and quails. Contains all the important B vitamins that birds need. Thanks to the dosing bottle, Vitamin-B-Vital can be easily dosed exactly in milliliters.

Feeding recommendations:
5 ml in 1 liter of drinking water, administered for a maximum of 5 consecutive days. Shake before using. Use only as directed.

Composition:

Vitamins:
Vitamin B5 4,900 mg
Vitamin B12 15,000 mcg
(cyanocobalamin)

Forgot to say his weight :D. He is now over 950g (2lb)! It's a jump from 300g (0.6lb) that he was at the start, he was just a skeleton. He feels heavier, that's why I thought it could have affected him too.
Just poor one, has one paw truly starting to bow and curl inside.

Oh then I was really giving too little. I was giving less than a cat, now I gave higher dose, hope it works out.

In your opinion something like this could work too?

View attachment 3655550

Feeding recommendations:

Composition:

Vitamins:
Vitamin B5 4,900 mg
Vitamin B12 15,000 mcg
(cyanocobalamin)
Looks like good stuff!

Forgot to say his weight :D. He is now over 950g (2lb)! It's a jump from 300g (0.6lb) that he was at the start, he was just a skeleton. He feels heavier, that's why I thought it could have affected him too.
Just poor one, has one paw truly starting to bow and curl inside.
That’s good news That he’s gaining weight. Could you post a picture of the foot?

That’s good news That he’s gaining weight. Could you post a picture of the foot?
20231009_213700.jpg

20231009_213650.jpg

His right foot is really bowing in fast and left is following, legs are very very shaky. He wasn't moving much and became active only recently. If I must say by progress, it's very quickly worsening.
Even though mealworms, greens supplements were added. I can only think of that new product I could get him and add bigger doses of brewer yeast (or get one for human nutrient yeast, but am not sure what else is inside)

(As am writing here he is stealing my chihuaua dry food that is based on fish and pumpkin now, he is absolute gluton)

Back
Top Bottom